Lateral collateral ligament of the knee
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Shu Su had no recorded disclosures.View Shu Su's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Radiopaedia Events Pty Ltd, Speaker fees (past)
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
The lateral (fibular) collateral ligament (LCL) is on the lateral aspect of the knee and forms part of the posterolateral corner. It is a major knee stabilizer against varus forces 6. The lateral aspect of the knee is divided into three layers and the LCL is part of the deep layer of the lateral aspect of the knee.
The LCL originates within an osseous depression slightly posterosuperior to the lateral femoral epicondyle and inserts onto the anterolateral fibular head 4,5. Its average length is ~50 mm and is more commonly cord-like than band-like 5,6.
The popliteus tendon (through the popliteal hiatus), a bursa and the lateral inferior geniculate vessels and nerve run deep to the LCL. The iliotibial band is superficial to the LCL and attaches to Gerdy's tubercle 4,5.
biceps femoris muscular branch of the tibial nerve
branch from the common fibular nerve at the popliteal fossa
branch of the common fibular nerve at the head of the fibula 4,5
inferior lateral genicular artery and anterior tibial recurrent artery 4,5
- 1. Chummy S. Sinnatamby. Last's Anatomy. (2011) ISBN: 9780702033940 - Google Books
- 2. Vohra S, Arnold G, Doshi S, Marcantonio D. Normal MR Imaging Anatomy of the Knee. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2011;19(3):637-53. doi:10.1016/j.mric.2011.05.012 - Pubmed
- 3. Yaras R, O'Neill N, Yaish A. Lateral Collateral Ligament Knee Injuries. 2022. - Pubmed
- 4. Hassebrock J, Gulbrandsen M, Asprey W, Makovicka J, Chhabra A. Knee Ligament Anatomy and Biomechanics. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 2020;28(3):80-6. doi:10.1097/JSA.0000000000000279 - Pubmed
- 5. Grawe B, Schroeder A, Kakazu R, Messer M. Lateral Collateral Ligament Injury About the Knee. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018;26(6):e120-7. doi:10.5435/jaaos-d-16-00028 - Pubmed
- 6. Shetty A, Prabhath S, Alappatt K, Krishna KN L, Bhat N, Sumalatha S. Lateral Collateral Ligament and Anterolateral Ligament of the Knee – A Morphological Analysis with Orthopedic Significance. The Knee. 2021;28:202-6. doi:10.1016/j.knee.2020.12.002 - Pubmed