Lateral ulnar collateral ligament of the elbow
Citation, DOI and article data
The lateral ulnar collateral ligament (LUCL) of the elbow is a primary stabilizer of the elbow joint to varus and external rotatory stress 1-6.
It is a part of the lateral (radial) collateral ligament complex and located at the posterolateral aspects of the elbow joint. It takes its course immediately posterior to the radial collateral ligament and further distally posterior to the radial head, where it blends with fibers of the annular ligament and runs further to the proximal ulna.
The lateral ulnar collateral ligament functions as a static stabilizer of the elbow joint and as a primary restraint to varus force external rotatory stress 1-6.
- humeral origin at the posteroinferior aspect of the lateral (radial) epicondyle just posterior to the origin of the radial collateral ligament
- distal (ulnar) insertion at the proximal part of the supinator crest in close relationship to the posterior attachment of the annular ligament
posterolateral rotatory instability (stage 1+)
- primary restraint 1-4
- lateral ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction is considered as primary treatment for recurrent instability 4
- varus instability
- 1. O'Driscoll S, Bell D, Morrey B. Posterolateral Rotatory Instability of the Elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1991;73(3):440-6. PMID 2002081
- 2. O'Driscoll S. Classification and Evaluation of Recurrent Instability of the Elbow. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;370:34-43. doi:10.1097/00003086-200001000-00005
- 3. O'Driscoll S. Elbow Instability. Acta Orthop Belg. 1999;65(4):404-15. PMID 10675934
- 4. Camp C, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Shields M, O'Driscoll S. Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction for Posterolateral Rotatory Instability of the Elbow. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017;6(4):e1101-5. doi:10.1016/j.eats.2017.03.029
- 5. Tokunaga K, Sato K, Tajima G et al. Reinvestigation of the Morphological Characteristics of the Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament in Humans. Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn. 2017;93(4):147-52. doi:10.2535/ofaj.93.147
- 6. Schaeffeler C, Waldt S, Woertler K. Traumatic Instability of the Elbow - Anatomy, Pathomechanisms and Presentation on Imaging. Eur Radiol. 2013;23(9):2582-93. doi:10.1007/s00330-013-2855-5