Citation, DOI and article data
The lateral view is an additional view obtained at virtually every diagnostic evaluation. A lateral view may be obtained as a mediolateral view (ML) or lateromedial view (LM) view depending on where the imaging tube and detector are located.
- for an ML view, the tube emitting the x-ray is medial and the detector plate is lateral
- for the LM view, the tube is lateral and the detector is placed medially
- lateral views are extremely useful in determining the exact location of an abnormality in the breast
- ML view is best for lesions located in the central or lateral breast
- LM view is best for evaluating medial lesions