Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Amir Rezaee had no recorded disclosures.View Amir Rezaee's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Radiopaedia Events Pty Ltd, Speaker fees (past)
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
The ligamentum mucosum, also known as the infrapatellar plica, is an embryological remnant of a synovial septum and one of the types of knee plicae.
Ligamentum mucosum is the most common knee plica, with an incidence of ~75% (range 65%-86%) 4,5.
The classification according to the plica morphology was proposed by Kim 4.
separate type: completely separated from the ACL (60.5%)
split type: longitudinally divided (13.5%)
vertical septum type: attached to the ACL (10.5%)
fenestra type: with fenestrated vertical septum (1.0%)
The ligamentum mucosum is best seen on T2/PD sagittal images as a curvilinear, low signal structure, originating from the anterior intercondylar notch and traversing the infrapatellar (Hoffa's) fat pad to attach to the inferior pole of the patella. It may connect to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL, the anterior transverse meniscomeniscal ligament, or anterior horn of the lateral meniscus 1. Its thickness ranges from very thin to almost as thick as the anterior cruciate ligament.
- 1. Cothran R, McGuire P, Helms C, Major N, Attarian D. MR Imaging of Infrapatellar Plica Injury. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180(5):1443-7. doi:10.2214/ajr.180.5.1801443 - Pubmed
- 2. García-Valtuille R, Abascal F, Cerezal L et al. Anatomy and MR Imaging Appearances of Synovial Plicae of the Knee. Radiographics. 2002;22(4):775-84. doi:10.1148/radiographics.22.4.g02jl03775 - Pubmed
- 3. Cothran R, McGuire P, Helms C, Major N, Attarian D. MR Imaging of Infrapatellar Plica Injury. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180(5):1443-7. doi:10.2214/ajr.180.5.1801443 - Pubmed
- 4. Kosarek F & Helms C. The MR Appearance of the Infrapatellar Plica. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999;172(2):481-4. doi:10.2214/ajr.172.2.9930807 - Pubmed
- 5. Kim S, Min B, Kim H. Arthroscopic Anatomy of the Infrapatellar Plica. Arthroscopy. 1996;12(5):561-4. doi:10.1016/s0749-8063(96)90195-4 - Pubmed