Localized pulmonary hemorrhage
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Yahya Baba had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Yahya Baba's current disclosures
Localized pulmonary hemorrhage is a descriptive term for a pulmonary hemorrhage restricted to a particular focal region of the lung. It can range from involving a small focus of hemorrhage to a whole lobe.
On this page:
Focal pulmonary hemorrhage can occur from a number of causes:
- pulmonary vasculitides
- secondary aspiration of blood due to 3
- chronic bronchitis
- tumors or
- pulmonary infarction
- pulmonary vascular tumor invasion 4
- underlying: pulmonary arteriovenous malformation
Intraalveolar hemorrhage may be seen as hazy consolidation or ground-glass infiltrates in the lung parenchyma.
Pulmonary vascular tumor invasion is usually seen as peripheral areas of ground glass around neoplastic (either primary or metastatic lesions) 4.
- 1. Bruzzi J, Rémy-Jardin M, Delhaye D, Teisseire A, Khalil C, Rémy J. Multi-Detector Row CT of Hemoptysis. Radiographics. 2006;26(1):3-22. doi:10.1148/rg.261045726 - Pubmed
- 2. Colby T, Fukuoka J, Ewaskow S, Helmers R, Leslie K. Pathologic Approach to Pulmonary Hemorrhage. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2001;5(5):309-19. doi:10.1053/adpa.2001.27923 - Pubmed
- 3. Seo J, Im J, Chung J et al. Pulmonary Vasculitis: The Spectrum of Radiological Findings. Br J Radiol. 2000;73(875):1224-31. doi:10.1259/bjr.73.875.11144805 - Pubmed
- 4. Engelke C, Schaefer-Prokop C, Schirg E, Freihorst J, Grubnic S, Prokop M. High-Resolution CT and CT Angiography of Peripheral Pulmonary Vascular Disorders. Radiographics. 2002;22(4):739-64. doi:10.1148/radiographics.22.4.g02jl01739 - Pubmed
- 5. W. Richard Webb, Charles B. Higgins. Thoracic Imaging. (2010) ISBN: 9781605479767 - Google Books
- 6. Rubinas T, Carey R, Kampert M, Alkan S, Lednicky J. Fatal Hemorrhagic Pneumonia Concomitant with Chlamydia Pneumoniae and Parainfluenza Virus 4 Infection. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004;128(6):640-4. doi:10.5858/2004-128-640-FHPCWC - Pubmed