Lung carcinomas of the salivary gland type are also known as salivary gland–type tumours of the lung (SGTTLs) or bronchial gland neoplasms.
The usual consignation to the group of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) may be unfortunate because the clinical behavior of SGTTLs can be quite different from that of conventional lung cancers 5.
SGTTLs are thought to account for 0.1-2% of all lung carcinomas.
These tumours occur primarily in the central airways and are thought to originate from submucosal glands 5:
- mucoepidermoid carcinoma (MEC) of the lung: most common type
- adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the lung: second most common type
- acinic cell carcinoma of the lung (Fechner tumour)
- epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung: one of the most unusual primary tumours of the lung
Only a few cases of the latter two lesions have been reported in the literature.
- 1. Jeong SY, Lee KS, Han J et-al. Integrated PET/CT of salivary gland type carcinoma of the lung in 12 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;189 (6): 1407-13. doi:10.2214/AJR.07.2652 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kang DY, Yoon YS, Kim HK et-al. Primary salivary gland-type lung cancer: surgical outcomes. Lung Cancer. 2011;72 (2): 250-4. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.08.021 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Molina JR, Aubry MC, Lewis JE et-al. Primary salivary gland-type lung cancer: spectrum of clinical presentation, histopathologic and prognostic factors. Cancer. 2007;110 (10): 2253-9. Cancer (full text) - doi:10.1002/cncr.23048 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Wu J, Zhao SH, Guo AT et-al. [CT characteristics of primary salivary gland-type lung cancer]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2012;33 (4): 313-5. Pubmed citation
- 5. Leslie KO, Wick MR. Practical Pulmonary Pathology. Saunders. ISBN:1416057706. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Webb WR, Higgins CB. Thoracic Imaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2010) ISBN:1605479764. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
lung cancer: an overview
non-small-cell lung cancer
- pre-invasive tumours
- minimally invasive tumours
- invasive tumours
- adenosquamous carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
- primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung
- squamous cell carcinoma
- salivary gland-type tumours
- pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours
- preinvasive lesions
- benign neoplasms
- pulmonary metastases
- lung cancer screening
- lung cancer staging
- non-small-cell lung cancer