Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Malignant melanoma is a malignant neoplasm that arises from melanocytes (or cells that derive from melanocytes).
Melanocytes predominantly occur in the basal layer of the epidermis and most melanomas, therefore, arise in the skin. However, melanocytes do occur in other locations and can give rise to primary melanoma in unexpected locations, e.g. primary uveal malignant melanoma.
Thus, melanoma may be primary or metastatic and the primary form may arise from the skin or (much more infrequently) from other sites. Each is discussed separately:
In general, radiology is useful for identifying metastatic melanomatous deposits.
Treatment and prognosis
Despite being one of the less common types of skin cancer, they cause the majority (75%) of skin cancer-related deaths.
Prognosis is related to stage of disease. Staging for malignant melanoma is accomplished using the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), 8th edition melanoma staging system which has been in use since January 1, 2018 5.
- 1. Balch CM, Buzaid AC, Soong SJ et-al. Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J. Clin. Oncol. 2001;19 (16): 3635-48. J. Clin. Oncol. (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Breslow A. Thickness, cross-sectional areas and depth of invasion in the prognosis of cutaneous melanoma. Ann. Surg. 1970;172 (5): 902-8. Ann. Surg. (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Hammoudeh M, Alarfaj A, Chen DY et-al. Safety of tumor necrosis factor inhibitors use for rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia: focus on severe infections and tuberculosis. Clin. Rheumatol.;: 1-8. Clin. Rheumatol. (full text) - doi:10.1007/s10067-012-2137-7 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Mcgovern VJ, Mihm MC, Bailly C et-al. The classification of malignant melanoma and its histologic reporting. Cancer. 1973;32 (6): 1446-57. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Keung E & Gershenwald J. The Eighth Edition American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Melanoma Staging System: Implications for Melanoma Treatment and Care. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2018;18(8):775-84. doi:10.1080/14737140.2018.1489246 - Pubmed