Mayo classification of scaphoid fractures
Citation, DOI & article data
Mayo classification of scaphoid fractures divides them into three types according to the anatomic location of the fracture line:
- middle (70%)
- distal (20%)
- proximal (10%)
Fractures of the distal third are further divided into distal articular surface and distal tubercle fractures:
- distal tubercle third fracture
- distal articular surface fracture
- distal third fracture
- middle third fracture
- proximal third fracture
The location of the fracture has important implications on the risk of AVN and, therefore, management.
- 1. Cooney WP 3rd. Scaphoid fractures: current treatments and techniques. Instr Course Lect. 2003;52:197–208.
- 2. Rhemrev SJ, Ootes D, Beeres FJ, Meylaerts SA, Schipper IB. Current methods of diagnosis and treatment of scaphoid fractures. Int J Emerg Med. 2011 Feb 4;4:4.
- 3. Gupta V, Rijal L, Jawed A. Managing scaphoid fractures. How we do it?. (2013) Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 4 (1): 3-10. doi:10.1016/j.jcot.2013.01.009 - Pubmed