Meralgia paraesthetica refers to a mononeuropathy of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.
It may result from either an entrapment neuropathy or a neuroma involving the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. The nerve can also be injured by mechanical compression at the level of the inguinal ligament.
Patients often describe burning, coldness, lightning pain, deep muscle achiness, tingling, frank anesthesia, or local hair loss in the anterolateral thigh region.
Treatment and prognosis
Image guided nerve block and steroid injection may play a role in selected cases.
History and etymology
It was was first described by Hager in 1885 1.
- 1. Ivins GK. Meralgia paresthetica, the elusive diagnosis: clinical experience with 14 adult patients. Annals of surgery. 232 (2): 281-6. Pubmed
- 2. Chhabra A, Del Grande F, Soldatos T, Chalian M, Belzberg AJ, Williams EH, Jalali FS, Thawait GK, Eng J, Carrino JA. Meralgia paresthetica: 3-Tesla magnetic resonance neurography. Skeletal radiology. 42 (6): 803-8. doi:10.1007/s00256-012-1557-4 - Pubmed
- 3. Petchprapa CN, Rosenberg ZS, Sconfienza LM, Cavalcanti CF, Vieira RL, Zember JS. MR imaging of entrapment neuropathies of the lower extremity. Part 1. The pelvis and hip. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 30 (4): 983-1000. doi:10.1148/rg.304095135 - Pubmed
- 4. Grossman MG, Ducey SA, Nadler SS, Levy AS. Meralgia paresthetica: diagnosis and treatment. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 9 (5): 336-44. Pubmed
- 5. Patijn J, Mekhail N, Hayek S, Lataster A, van Kleef M, Van Zundert J. Meralgia Paresthetica. Pain practice : the official journal of World Institute of Pain. 11 (3): 302-8. doi:10.1111/j.1533-2500.2011.00458.x - Pubmed
- 6. Tagliafico A, Serafini G, Lacelli F, Perrone N, Valsania V, Martinoli C. Ultrasound-guided treatment of meralgia paresthetica (lateral femoral cutaneous neuropathy): technical description and results of treatment in 20 consecutive patients. Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 30 (10): 1341-6. Pubmed