Mercedes-Benz sign (gallbladder)
In the gallbladder, the Mercedes-Benz sign describes a star-shaped pattern of gas-fissuring within gallstones initially described on an abdominal radiograph 2.
Fissures, usually fluid-filled, are present in close to 50% of gallstones. Less than half of these fissured gallstones contain some amount of gas 1. The radiolucency caused by the gas usually appears in a triradiate pattern, mimicking the Mercedes-Benz logo.
- 1. Hinkel CL. Fissures in biliary calculi; further observations. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1954;71 (6): 979-87. - Pubmed citation
- 2. Meyers MA, O'donohue N. The Mercedes-Benz sign: insight into the dynamics of formation and disappearance of gallstones. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1973;119 (1): 63-70. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Dunne MG, Johnson ML. Gas within gallstones on CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1980;134 (5): 1065-6. doi:10.2214/ajr.134.5.1065 - Pubmed citation
- galllbladder wall abnormalities
- diffuse gallbladder wall thickening (differential)
- focal gallbladder wall thickening (differential)
- gallbladder polyps
- gallbladder malignancy
- porcelain gallbladder
- gallbladder inflammation
- other gallbladder abnormalities