Citation, DOI & article data
The METAVIR scoring system is a system used to assess the extent of inflammation and fibrosis by histopathological evaluation in a liver biopsy of patients with hepatitis C. The grade indicates the activity or degree of inflammation while the stage represents the amount of fibrosis or scarring.
- A0: no activity
- A1: mild activity
- A2: moderate activity
- A3: severe activity
- F0: no fibrosis
- F1: portal fibrosis without septa
- F2: portal fibrosis with few septa
- F3: numerous septa without cirrhosis
- F4: cirrhosis
History and etymology
In 1993, a group of ten French pathologists, lead by Pierre Bedossa, with a subspecialty interest in hepatic disease, set up the METAVIR cooperative group. The group was formed to discuss issues related to the pathological evaluation of chronic hepatitis C 5. Metavir is an acronym of "meta-analysis of histological data in viral hepatitis" 4. From the outset there was an intention for the group to assess histological samples from clinical trial patients and their correlations with other biomedical parameters 5.
Confusingly, there is also a web-based viral genome analysis platform called metavir which has nothing to do with the scoring system 6.
- 1. Frulio N, Trillaud H. Ultrasound elastography in liver. Diagnostic and interventional imaging. 94 (5): 515-34. doi:10.1016/j.diii.2013.02.005 - Pubmed
- 2. Barr RG, Ferraioli G, Palmeri ML, Goodman ZD, Garcia-Tsao G, Rubin J, Garra B, Myers RP, Wilson SR, Rubens D, Levine D. Elastography Assessment of Liver Fibrosis: Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference Statement. Radiology. 276 (3): 845-61. doi:10.1148/radiol.2015150619 - Pubmed
- 3. Foucher J, Chanteloup E, Vergniol J, Castéra L, Le Bail B, Adhoute X, Bertet J, Couzigou P, de Lédinghen V. Diagnosis of cirrhosis by transient elastography (FibroScan): a prospective study. Gut. 55 (3): 403-8. doi:10.1136/gut.2005.069153 - Pubmed
- 4. Bersoux S, Mi L, Aqel B, Dickson R. Hepatitis C Testing and Liver Fibrosis Predictors in the Birth Cohort of a Primary Care Practice. Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes. 2020;4(4):384-90. doi:10.1016/j.mayocpiqo.2020.04.003 - Pubmed
- 5. Bedossa P. [Presentation of a Grid for Computer Analysis for Compilation of Histopathologic Lesions in Chronic Viral Hepatitis C. Cooperative Study of the METAVIR Group]. Ann Pathol. 1993;13(4):260-5. - Pubmed
- 6. Roux S, Faubladier M, Mahul A et al. Metavir: A Web Server Dedicated to Virome Analysis. Bioinformatics. 2011;27(21):3074-5. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btr519 - Pubmed