- more often right-sided (~90%)
- rare (~2% of CDH)
- at low risk of prolapse
Only ~30% of patients are symptomatic. Newborns may present with respiratory distress at birth similar to a Bochdalek hernia. Additionally, recurrent chest infections and gastrointestinal symptoms have been reported in those with previously undiagnosed Morgagni hernia.
Treatment and prognosis
Some sources recommend laparoscopic surgical repair, even in asymptomatic patients, to avoid the risk of strangulation of the hernia contents 6.
The main differential diagnosis for Morgagni hernia is a cardiophrenic fat pad. Other cardiophrenic angle lesions can be considered in the differential diagnosis on chest radiograph, although Morgagni hernia is relatively radiolucent compared with other lesions not containing fat.
Focal diaphragmatic eventration may also cause this appearance.
Morgagni hernia may rarely mimic diaphragmatic rupture from trauma, but you would expect to find other supportive signs of chest and/or abdominal trauma. Also diaphragm rupture is most commonly posterior and posterolaterally, rather than anteriorly where Morgagni's foramina are located.
- 1. Gray H, Vogl W et-al. Gray's atlas of anatomy. Churchill Livingstone. (2008) ISBN:044306721X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Schuenke M, Schulte E, Ross L et-al. Thieme Atlas of Anatomy, Head and Neuroanatomy. Thieme Medical Pub. (2007) ISBN:1588904415. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. El-sharkawy A, Higashi Y, Lobo D. Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: foramen of Morgagni hernia in an adult. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2012;27 (3): 616. doi:10.1111/j.1440-1746.2012.07055.x - Pubmed citation
- 4. Aghajanzadeh M, Khadem S, Khajeh jahromi S et-al. Clinical presentation and operative repair of Morgagni hernia. 2012;doi:10.1093/icvts/ivs203 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Lojszczyk-szczepaniak A, Komsta R, Debiak P. Retrosternal (Morgagni) diaphragmatic hernia. Can. Vet. J. 2011;52 (8): 878-83. - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Minneci PC, Deans KJ, Kim P et-al. Foramen of Morgagni hernia: changes in diagnosis and treatment. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2004;77 (6): 1956-9. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.12.028 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Coley BD. Caffey's Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging (Caffeys Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging). Saunders. ISBN:B00D5T5MMY. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon