Citation, DOI and article data
Morgagni hernias (alternative plural: herniae) are one of the congenital diaphragmatic hernias (CDHs) and are characterized by herniation through the foramen of Morgagni. When compared to Bochdalek hernias, Morgagni hernias tend to be:
- more often right-sided (~90%)
- rare (~2% of CDH)
- at low risk of prolapse
Only ~30% of patients are symptomatic. Newborns may present with respiratory distress at birth similar to a Bochdalek hernia. Additionally, recurrent chest infections and gastrointestinal symptoms have been reported in those with previously undiagnosed Morgagni hernia.
Treatment and prognosis
Some sources recommend laparoscopic surgical repair, even in asymptomatic patients, to avoid the risk of strangulation of the hernia contents 6.
History and etymology
Giovanni Battista Morgagni (1682-1771) was an Italian anatomist and pathologist 8.
- cardiophrenic angle lesions: the main differential diagnosis for Morgagni hernia is a cardiophrenic fat pad. It appears radiolucent compared with other lesions not containing fat
- focal diaphragmatic eventration
- diaphragmatic rupture: from trauma, but usually other supportive signs of chest and/or abdominal trauma would be apparent. This is most commonly seen posterior and posterolaterally
- 1. Gray H, Vogl W et-al. Gray's atlas of anatomy. Churchill Livingstone. (2008) ISBN:044306721X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Schuenke M, Schulte E, Ross L et-al. Thieme Atlas of Anatomy, Head and Neuroanatomy. Thieme Medical Pub. (2007) ISBN:1588904415. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. El-sharkawy A, Higashi Y, Lobo D. Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: foramen of Morgagni hernia in an adult. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2012;27 (3): 616. doi:10.1111/j.1440-1746.2012.07055.x - Pubmed citation
- 4. Aghajanzadeh M, Khadem S, Khajeh jahromi S et-al. Clinical presentation and operative repair of Morgagni hernia. 2012;doi:10.1093/icvts/ivs203 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Lojszczyk-szczepaniak A, Komsta R, Debiak P. Retrosternal (Morgagni) diaphragmatic hernia. Can. Vet. J. 2011;52 (8): 878-83. - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Minneci PC, Deans KJ, Kim P et-al. Foramen of Morgagni hernia: changes in diagnosis and treatment. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2004;77 (6): 1956-9. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.12.028 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Coley BD. Caffey's Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging (Caffeys Pediatric Diagnostic Imaging). Saunders. ISBN:B00D5T5MMY. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 8. Tubbs R, Steck D, Mortazavi M, Shoja M, Loukas M, Cohen-Gadol A. Giovanni Battista Morgagni (1682–1771): His Anatomic Majesty's Contributions to the Neurosciences. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012;28(7):1099-102. doi:10.1007/s00381-012-1797-6