Mushroom worker's lung
Citation, DOI & article data
Mushroom worker’s disease is a hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by the occupational exposure of allergenic fungal spores and compost associated with the inhalation of organic dust from mushroom composting and spawning.
It presents as an acute pulmonary illness with cough, fever, and dyspnea. Weight loss has been described. Clinical features are consistent with other forms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and as is typical, removal of the patient from the allergenic environment causes resolution of symptoms.
Countries vary in the species of fungi commercially grown which has led to various subtypes of disease based on the species and agricultural methods being described.
Chest radiograph and chest CT show typical features of hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which may progress to fibrosis. Radiographic resolution is expected following the removal of the patient from the allergenic environment.
- 1. Jackson E, Welch KM. Mushroom worker's lung. (1970) Thorax. 25 (1): 25-30. doi:10.1136/thx.25.1.25 - Pubmed
- 2. Hoy RF, Pretto JJ, van Gelderen D and McDonald CF. Mushroom worker’s lung: organic dust exposure in the spawning shed. (2007) Med J Aust; 186 (9). doi: 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2007.tb01000.x