Myxoid degeneration of a leiomyoma
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
While this type of degeneration is generally considered rare, the highest prevalence for this type of degeneration has been reported as up to 50% of all degenerations of leiomyomas 5.
Fibroids (i.e. uterine leiomyomas) that have undergone myxoid degeneration are filled with a gelatinous material and can be difficult to differentiate from cystic degeneration; however, they typically appear as more complex cystic masses. They appear hypocellular with a myxoid matrix 6.
On pelvic MRI, the myxoid material usually demonstrates 2:
- T1: low signal intensity
- T2: usually high signal intensity 2,3 with a peripheral low signal intensity 6
- T1 C+ (Gd): there is minimal or no enhancement 2,3
The above signal changes are of intralesional change 4 on a background of low T2 signal of non-myxoid components.
Certain malignant uterine tumors also show myxoid degeneration, e.g.leiomyosarcoma 2.
- 1. Wilde S, Scott-barrett S. Radiological appearances of uterine fibroids. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 19 (3): 222-31. doi:10.4103/0971-3026.54887 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Murase E, Siegelman ES, Outwater EK et-al. Uterine leiomyomas: histopathologic features, MR imaging findings, differential diagnosis, and treatment. Radiographics. 19 (5): 1179-97. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Ueda H, Togashi K, Konishi I et-al. Unusual appearances of uterine leiomyomas: MR imaging findings and their histopathologic backgrounds. Radiographics. 1999;19 Spec No : S131-45. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Hamm B, Baert AL, Beinder E( et-al. MRI and CT of the Female Pelvis. Springer Verlag. (2010) ISBN:3642060897. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Dähnert W. Radiology Review Manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2011) ISBN:1609139437. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Elizabeth Kagan Arleo, Peter E. Schwartz, Pei Hui, Shirley McCarthy. Review of Leiomyoma Variants. (2015) American Journal of Roentgenology. 205 (4): 912-21. doi:10.2214/AJR.14.13946 - Pubmed