Neonatal appendicitis is rare, presumably in part due to the short funnel shape to the appendix at that age. Symptoms are non-specific and may mimic necrotising enterocolitis.
- 1. Crocetti Michael, Michael A. Barone and Frank A. Oski. Oski's essential pediatrics. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004. ISBN: 0781737702, 9780781737708.
The appendix can be affected by numerous inflammatory, infectious and neoplastic conditions:
- appendiceal mucocele
- appendiceal intussusception
neoplasms of the appendix
- appendiceal epithelial neoplasms
- Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix
- appendiceal neuroendocrine tumours
- appendiceal lymphoma