Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Subhan Iqbal had no recorded disclosures.View Subhan Iqbal's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Rohit Sharma had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Rohit Sharma's current disclosures
Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix is a rare type of invasive cervical cancer. These are very aggressive tumors with rapid lymph nodal metastasis 1,2.
On this page:
Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the cervix account for approximately ~2% of tumors of the cervix seen in the females of reproductive age group 1,2. Neuroendocrine tumors of the cervix are related to human papillomavirus type 18.
Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the cervix may be classified into small cell, large cell, and other types (which are rare) which include carcinoid, and atypical carcinoid tumor.
Treatment and prognosis
In line with the aggressive nature of neuroendocrine tumors, a multimodality approach of a chemotherapeutic regimen of etoposide and cisplatin, and in cases of recurrent disease topotecan, paclitaxel, and bevacizumab followed by radiation and radical surgery may be included in treatment. The prognosis of this carcinoma is very poor with mean survival is up to ~36 months 3-5.
- 1. Salvo G, Salvo GMA, Salvo GN, Salvo FM, Salvo. Updates and management algorithm for neuroendocrine tumors of the uterine cervix. (2019) International journal of gynecological cancer : official journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society. doi:10.1136/ijgc-2019-000504 - Pubmed
- 2. Aletti G, Aletti LA, Aletti. Neuroendocrine tumors of the cervix: an urgent call for joining forces. (2019) International journal of gynecological cancer : official journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society. doi:10.1136/ijgc-2019-000631 - Pubmed
- 3. Rais K, Egyir E, Rockson O, Ramdani A, Serji B, El Harroudi T. [Neuroendocrine tumors of the cervix: case study and literature review]. (2019) The Pan African medical journal. 34: 48. doi:10.11604/pamj.2019.34.48.19861 - Pubmed
- 4. Tempfer C, Tempfer TI, Tempfer DA, Tempfer HZ, Tempfer SB, Tempfer KP, Tempfer RG, Tempfer. Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix: a systematic review of the literature. (2018) BMC cancer. doi:10.1186/s12885-018-4447-x - Pubmed
- 5. Gardner G, Gardner RLD, Gardner GP, Gardner. Neuroendocrine tumors of the gynecologic tract: A Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) clinical document. (2011) Gynecologic oncology. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.04.011 - Pubmed
- 6. Hillman RT, Cardnell R, Fujimoto J, Lee WC, Zhang J, Byers LA, Ramalingam P, Leitao M, Swisher E, Futreal PA, Frumovitz M. Comparative genomics of high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix. (2020) PloS one. 15 (6): e0234505. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0234505 - Pubmed