Citation, DOI & article data
Octreotide scintigraphy uses 111In-labeled octreotide, which is a somatostatin analog; it is also known as Octreoscan, a brand name for 111In-labeled pentetreotide. Pentetreotide is a DTPA-conjugated form of octreotide, originally manufactured by Mallinckrodt Nuclear Medicine LLC, which now forms part of Curium.
The radiotracer is characterized by a high affinity of bond with the somatostatin receptor 2 (SST2). It penetrates inside the cell by endocytosis, first held by lysosomes and then transferred to the nucleus 4,5.
- carcinoid tumor
- small cell lung cancer
- pituitary adenoma
- medullary thyroid carcinoma
- pancreatic islet cell tumor
- Merkel cell carcinoma 3
Certain non-neuroendocrine tumors can also show uptake in an Octreoscan. Examples include:
Also, certain autoimmune or granulomatous diseases (for example sarcoidosis) may occasionally show octreotide uptake by overexpression of somatostatin receptors 6-8.
- 1. Whiteman M, Serafini A, Telischi F, Civantos F, Falcone S. 111In Octreotide Scintigraphy in the Evaluation of Head and Neck Lesions. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1997;18(6):1073-80. PMC8337293 - Pubmed
- 2. Ramage J, Williams R, Buxton-Thomas M. Imaging Secondary Neuroendocrine Tumours of the Liver: Comparison of I123 Metaiodobenzylguanidine (MIBG) and In111-Labelled Octreotide (Octreoscan). QJM. 1996;89(7):539-42. doi:10.1093/qjmed/89.7.539 - Pubmed
- 3. Guitera-Rovel P, Lumbroso J, Gautier-Gougis M et al. Indium-111 Octreotide Scintigraphy of Merkel Cell Carcinomas and Their Metastases. Ann Oncol. 2001;12(6):807-11. doi:10.1023/a:1011142410535 - Pubmed
- 4. Hornick C, Anthony C, Hughey S, Gebhardt B, Espenan G, Woltering E. Progressive Nuclear Translocation of Somatostatin Analogs. J Nucl Med. 2000;41(7):1256-63. - Pubmed
- 5. Janson E, Westlin J, Ohrvall U, Oberg K, Lukinius A. Nuclear Localization of 111In After Intravenous Injection of [111In-DTPA-D-Phe1]-Octreotide in Patients with Neuroendocrine Tumors. J Nucl Med. 2000;41(9):1514-8. - Pubmed
- 6. Dalm V, van Hagen P, Krenning E. The Role of Octreotide Scintigraphy in Rheumatoid Arthritis and Sarcoidosis. Q J Nucl Med. 2003;47(4):270-8. - Pubmed
- 7. van Hagen P, Krenning E, Kwekkeboom D et al. Somatostatin and the Immune and Haematopoetic System; a Review. Eur J Clin Invest. 1994;24(2):91-9. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2362.1994.tb00972.x - Pubmed
- 8. ten Bokum A, Hofland L, van Hagen P. Somatostatin and Somatostatin Receptors in the Immune System: A Review. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2000;11(2):161-76. - Pubmed