Odontoid process agenesis
Citation, DOI & article data
Odontoid process agenesis is rare, occuring due to a lack of failure of ossification of the odontoid process. It is seen in patients with spondyloepiphyseal and spondylometaphyseal dysplasia 1,2.
On plain film, odontoid process agenesis appears small, as a slight depression on the superior articular facet on open mouth view or hypo genesis of basal segment of odontoid with floating apical process. Both of these conditions are associated with atlantoaxial instability.
On dynamic CT scan both flexion and extension views should be performed, to identify posterior subluxation.
Treatment and prognosis
Atlantoaxial instability will lead to vascular compression and stroke because of ischemia 2,4. Treatment options include a surgical fusion of C1 and C2.
- 1. Jain N, Verma R, Garga UC, Baruah BP, Jain SK, Bhaskar SN. CT and MR imaging of odontoid abnormalities: A pictorial review. (2016) The Indian journal of radiology & imaging. 26 (1): 108-19. doi:10.4103/0971-3026.178358 - Pubmed
- 2. Cormier DV, Cormier. Spondylo-epi-metaphyseal dysplasia. (2008) Best practice & research. Clinical rheumatology. doi:10.1016/j.berh.2007.12.009 - Pubmed
- 3. Ishak B, Ishak DG, Ishak RR, Ishak ME, Ishak MM, Ishak IJ, Ishak BC, Ishak DA, Ishak TR, Ishak. The Retroverted Dens: A Review of its Anatomy, Terminology, and Clinical Significance. (2020) World neurosurgery. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2020.01.231 - Pubmed
- 4. Kyoshima K, Kyoshima KY, Kyoshima TK, Kyoshima AK, Kyoshima KM, Kyoshima KT, Kyoshima. Odontoid compression of the brainstem without basilar impression-- "odontoid invagination". (2005) Journal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. doi:10.1016/j.jocn.2004.07.022 - Pubmed
- 5. Sureisen M, Achannan R, Chong KC, Wong CC. What the mind does not know, the eyes do not see: a rare congenital fusion of the odontoid process to the atlantal hemiarch. (2015) BMJ case reports. doi:10.1136/bcr-2015-212748 - Pubmed