Oesophageal squamous papilloma is an uncommon finding on oesophagography (barium swallow). It is a benign lesion, but it is difficult to differentiate it from osophageal carcinoma on oesophagography and the diagnosis is usually made with endoscopic biopsy.
Often asymptomatic, but may cause dysphagia 2.
Benign hyperplastic epithelial lesion consisting of a fibrovascular core with multiple small projections.
Barium oesophagram (barium swallow)
- small sessile polyp with a smooth or slightly lobulated contour 3
- 1. Kuwano H, Ueo H, Sugimachi K, Inokuchi K, Toyoshima S, Enjoji M. Glandular or mucus-secreting components in squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Cancer. 56 (3): 514-8. Pubmed
- 2. Carr NJ, Monihan JM, Sobin LH. Squamous cell papilloma of the esophagus: a clinicopathologic and follow-up study of 25 cases. The American journal of gastroenterology. 89 (2): 245-8. Pubmed
- 3. Levine MS. Benign tumors of the esophagus: radiologic evaluation. Seminars in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 15 (1): 9-19. Pubmed
- oesophageal dysmotility
- oesophageal tumours
- benign oesophageal neoplasms
- malignant oesophageal neoplasms
- gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- oesophageal stricture