There are both primary and secondary ossification centers that are involved in osteogenesis (formation of bone).
Primary ossification centres
- where bone first forms
- long bones (shaft or diaphysis)
- irregular bones (body)
Secondary ossification centres
- individual bones may have multple centres
- usually found in epiphysis
- 1. Gray, Henry. Anatomy of the Human Body. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1918; Bartleby.com, 2000. www.bartleby.com/107/.
- 2. www.medilexicon.com. Definition: 'Primary Ossification Center'. Read relevant article. Accessed on 02/04/2016