Ovary size and volume
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Samson Munn had no recorded disclosures.View Samson Munn's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Ovary size and volume is frequently determined with ultrasound. The volume estimate is calculated by the formula for an ellipsoid, where D1, D2, and D3 are the three axial measurements:
D1 x D2 x D3 x 0.52
The normal, adult, non-pregnant, mean ovary volume of women who are not postmenopausal is 6-7 mL based on several studies which combined assessed tens of thousands of ovaries.
20 mL had been proposed as a cut-off value between normal and abnormally large, but that value was subsequently shown to be inaccurate. Values two standard deviations above the mean (to help provide a threshold for enlargement):
- 14-15 mL at <30 years of age
- 13 mL in the 30s
- 11 mL in the 40s
- 5-6 mL in the 50s
- 4-5 mL above 60 years of age
Ovary volume varies normally a bit by overall body size/height. Normal ovary volume during the fertile years may be as high as 24 mL and perhaps even higher. The two ovaries may vary greatly in volume, side to side; it is not uncommon for one ovary to be twice the volume of the other.
There was no significant difference in ovary volume between studies done on a mixed U.S. population versus a cohort in Nigeria.
- 1. Mohammad H, Ngwan S, Utoo B, Swende T. Transvaginal Ultrasound Evaluation of Ovarian Volume Among Normal Adults in Makurdi, North-Central Nigeria. J Reprod Biol Health. 2013;1(1):1. doi:10.7243/2054-0841-1-1
- 2. Yeh H, Futterweit W, Thornton J. Polycystic Ovarian Disease: US Features in 104 Patients. Radiology. 1987;163(1):111-6. doi:10.1148/radiology.163.1.3547491 - Pubmed
- 3. Pavlik E, DePriest P, Gallion H et al. Ovarian Volume Related to Age. Gynecol Oncol. 2000;77(3):410-2. doi:10.1006/gyno.2000.5783 - Pubmed
- 4. Baltarowich OH. Female pelvic organ measurements. In: Barry B. Goldberg. Atlas of Ultrasound Measurements. (1990) ISBN: 9780815135418 - Google Books
- 5. Munn C, Kiser L, Wetzner S, Baer J. Ovary Volume in Young and Premenopausal Adults: US Determination. Work in Progress. Radiology. 1986;159(3):731-2. doi:10.1148/radiology.159.3.3517957 - Pubmed
- 6. Munn S. Ovary Volume: A Reconsideration of "Ovarian Volume Related to Age". Gynecol Oncol. 2008;109(1):146-7. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.12.025 - Pubmed