Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Andrew Murphy had no recorded disclosures.View Andrew Murphy's current disclosures
Pediatric radiography is a subset of general radiography specializing in the radiographic imaging of the pediatric population.
The general principles of radiography remain the same. However, additional consideration must be considered when determining patient-specific exposure factors, immobilization techniques and appropriateness of examinations.
Due to the differences between pediatric radiography and adult imaging, separate general pediatric articles have been broken into anatomical sub-sections.
Contact lead shielding is no longer recommended for any pediatric examination. Statements have been released by several radiological societies supporting an end to this practice 1-4, with the most comprehensive guidance statement on this matter being in an 86-page joint report 5.
- 1. Statement No. 13 – NCRP Recommendations For Ending Routine Gonadal Shielding During Abdominal And Pelvic Radiography (2021)". Ncrponline.org, 2021. [Link].
- 2. ASMIRT Position Statement Gonad Shielding". Asmirt.org, 2021. [Link].
- 3. ASRT Statement on Fetal and Gonadal Shielding. Asrt.org, 2021. [Link].
- 4. Yogesh Thakur, Stephanie C. Schofield, Thorarin A. Bjarnason, Michael N. Patlas. Discontinuing Gonadal and Fetal Shielding in X-Ray:. (2021) Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal. doi:10.1177/0846537121993092 doi:10.1177/0846537121993092.
- 5. Guidance on using shielding on patients for diagnostic radiology applications Joint report. Bir.org.uk, 2021. [Link].