Parotid infantile hemangioma
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Zishan Sheikh had no recorded disclosures.View Zishan Sheikh's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Ammar Haouimi had no recorded disclosures.View Ammar Haouimi's current disclosures
Parotid infantile hemangiomas are the most common parotid tumor of childhood. They usually run a characteristically benign course.
On this page:
The median age at diagnosis is 4 months 1. There is a female preponderance with a male: female ratio of 1:3.
Presents as an enlarging parotid mass in an infant that was not present at birth. a cutaneous component (e.g. strawberry lesion) may be present. They can occasionally act as significant vascular shunts if they do not involute.
- homogeneous echogenic parotid mass
- fine echogenic internal septations
- replaces or expands parotid tissue
- large internal vessels
- rarely flow only seen on gray-scale as it is too low to be seen on Doppler
- T1: intermediate signal, between that of muscle and fat
- prominent flow voids
- T1 C+ (Gd): homogeneous enhancement
Treatment and prognosis
Surgery is usually avoided since there is a risk of facial nerve damage and most lesions resolve over time either spontaneously or with medical therapy 5.
- 1. George CD, Ng YY, Hall-Craggs MA, Jones BM. Parotid haemangioma in infants: MR imaging at 1.5T. (1991) Pediatric radiology. 21 (7): 483-5. Pubmed
- 2. Mamlouk MD, Rosbe KW, Glastonbury CM. Paediatric parotid neoplasms: a 10 year retrospective imaging and pathology review of these rare tumours. (2015) Clinical radiology. 70 (3): 270-7. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2014.11.009 - Pubmed
- 3. Venkatraman Bhat, Paul C Salins, Varun Bhat. Imaging Spectrum of Hemangioma and Vascular Malformations of the Head and Neck in Children and Adolescents. (2014) Journal of Clinical Imaging Science. 4 (1): 31. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.135179 - Pubmed
- 4. Chaubal R, Tavri O, Sawant A, Singh C. Infantile Hemangioendothelioma of the Parotid Gland. (2017) Journal of clinical imaging science. 7: 5. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.199056 - Pubmed
- 5. Sinno H, Thibaudeau S, Coughlin R, Chitte S, Williams B. Management of infantile parotid gland hemangiomas: a 40-year experience. (2010) Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 125 (1): 265-73. doi:10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181c2a55a - Pubmed
- 6. Roebuck DJ, Ahuja AT. Hemangioendothelioma of the parotid gland in infants: sonography and correlative MR imaging. (2000) AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology. 21 (1): 219-23. Pubmed