Parotid infantile hemangiomas are the most common parotid tumor of childhood. They usually run a characteristically benign course.
The median age at diagnosis is 4 months 1. There is a female preponderance with a male: female ratio of 1:3.
Presents as an enlarging parotid mass in an infant that was not present at birth. a cutaneous component (e.g. strawberry lesion) may be present. They can occasionally act as significant vascular shunts if they do not involute.
- homogeneous echogenic parotid mass
- fine echogenic internal septations
- replaces or expands parotid tissue
- large internal vessels
- rarely flow only seen on gray-scale as it is too low to be seen on Doppler
- T1: intermediate signal, between that of muscle and fat
- prominent flow voids
- T1 C+ (Gd): homogeneous enhancement
Treatment and prognosis
Surgery is usually avoided since there is a risk of facial nerve damage and most lesions resolve over time either spontaneously or with medical therapy 5.
- 1. George CD, Ng YY, Hall-Craggs MA, Jones BM. Parotid haemangioma in infants: MR imaging at 1.5T. (1991) Pediatric radiology. 21 (7): 483-5. Pubmed
- 2. Mamlouk MD, Rosbe KW, Glastonbury CM. Paediatric parotid neoplasms: a 10 year retrospective imaging and pathology review of these rare tumours. (2015) Clinical radiology. 70 (3): 270-7. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2014.11.009 - Pubmed
- 3. Venkatraman Bhat, Paul C Salins, Varun Bhat. Imaging Spectrum of Hemangioma and Vascular Malformations of the Head and Neck in Children and Adolescents. (2014) Journal of Clinical Imaging Science. 4 (1): 31. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.135179 - Pubmed
- 4. Chaubal R, Tavri O, Sawant A, Singh C. Infantile Hemangioendothelioma of the Parotid Gland. (2017) Journal of clinical imaging science. 7: 5. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.199056 - Pubmed
- 5. Sinno H, Thibaudeau S, Coughlin R, Chitte S, Williams B. Management of infantile parotid gland hemangiomas: a 40-year experience. (2010) Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 125 (1): 265-73. doi:10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181c2a55a - Pubmed
- 6. Roebuck DJ, Ahuja AT. Hemangioendothelioma of the parotid gland in infants: sonography and correlative MR imaging. (2000) AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology. 21 (1): 219-23. Pubmed