Perifissural lung nodules
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
Although perilymphatic pulmonary nodules can also be perifissural in distribution, they should be distinguished from perifissural lung nodules, as the former are usually associated with a number of conditions.
Perifissural lung nodules are typically seen as well-circumscribed, smoothly marginated homogeneous nodules in contact with or closely related to a pulmonary fissure. Most show a triangular, oval/lentiform, rectangular, or dumbbell shape. They may often show a septal attachment to the pleural surface 3.
Worrisome features that are not typical for lymph nodes and should be reported, prompting for imaging follow-up, include 6:
round morphology or contour irregularity
the adjacent fissure is abnormal: bowed, retracted, or transgressed
Treatment and prognosis
If perifissural lung nodules have typical morphology they are favored to be benign despite some nodules having a tendency to grow over serial scans 2.
- 1. Ahn M, Gleeson T, Chan I et al. Perifissural Nodules Seen at CT Screening for Lung Cancer. Radiology. 2010;254(3):949-56. doi:10.1148/radiol.09090031 - Pubmed
- 2. de Hoop B, van Ginneken B, Gietema H, Prokop M. Pulmonary Perifissural Nodules on CT Scans: Rapid Growth is Not a Predictor of Malignancy. Radiology. 2012;265(2):611-6. doi:10.1148/radiol.12112351 - Pubmed
- 3. Frank L & Quint L. Chest CT Incidentalomas: Thyroid Lesions, Enlarged Mediastinal Lymph Nodes, and Lung Nodules. Cancer Imaging. 2012;12(1):41-8. doi:10.1102/1470-7330.2012.0006 - Pubmed
- 4. Mets O, Chung K, Scholten E et al. Incidental Perifissural Nodules on Routine Chest Computed Tomography: Lung Cancer or Not? Eur Radiol. 2018;28(3):1095-101. doi:10.1007/s00330-017-5055-x - Pubmed
- 5. Snoeckx A, Reyntiens P, Desbuquoit D et al. Evaluation of the Solitary Pulmonary Nodule: Size Matters, but Do Not Ignore the Power of Morphology. Insights Imaging. 2018;9(1):73-86. doi:10.1007/s13244-017-0581-2 - Pubmed
- 6. Bueno J, Landeras L, Chung J. Updated Fleischner Society Guidelines for Managing Incidental Pulmonary Nodules: Common Questions and Challenging Scenarios. Radiographics. 2018;38(5):1337-50. doi:10.1148/rg.2018180017 - Pubmed