Perugini grading scale
Citation, DOI & article data
The Perugini grading scale is a semi-quantitative method of scoring cardiac uptake following injection of 99mTc-DPD, 99mTc-Pyrophosphate or 99mTc-HMDP scintigraphy in the investigation of cardiac amyloidosis (particularly ATTR amyloidosis). The grading scale visually compares tracer uptake in the myocardium and ribs.
- grade 0: no cardiac uptake and normal rib uptake
- grade 1: cardiac uptake which is less than rib uptake
- grade 2: cardiac uptake with intensity similar rib uptake
- grade 3: cardiac uptake greater than rib uptake with mild or absent rib uptake
Visual scores of 2 or greater on planar +/- SPECT/CT imaging are classified as ATTR positive studies. Scores of less than 2 are interpreted as ATTR negative4.
- 1. Perugini E, Guidalotti PL, Salvi F et-al. Noninvasive etiologic diagnosis of cardiac amyloidosis using 99mTc-3,3-diphosphono-1,2-propanodicarboxylic acid scintigraphy. (2005) Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 46 (6): 1076-84. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2005.05.073 - Pubmed
- 2. David F Hutt, Marianna Fontana, Maria Burniston et-al. Prognostic utility of the Perugini grading of 99mTc-DPD scintigraphy in transthyretin (ATTR) amyloidosis and its relationship with skeletal muscle and soft tissue amyloid. (2017) European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging. 18 (12): 1344. doi:10.1093/ehjci/jew325
- 3. Cappelli F, Gallini C, Di Mario C et-al. Accuracy of 99mTc-Hydroxymethylene diphosphonate scintigraphy for diagnosis of transthyretin cardiac amyloidosis. (2019) Journal of nuclear cardiology : official publication of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology. 26 (2): 497-504. doi:10.1007/s12350-017-0922-z - Pubmed
- 4. Dorbala S, Bokhari S, Miller E, et al (2019) ASNC practice point: 99mTechnetium-pyrophosphate imaging for transthyretin cardiac amyloidosis. Am Soc Nucl Cardiol. Guideline