Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Peter Ikeuchi had no recorded disclosures.View Peter Ikeuchi's current disclosures
Early systems were tested in the late 2000s with commercial availability from 2010 1,2. The availability of PET-MRI remains limited, largely due to the costs and expertise required. PET-MRI acquisition times are longer than those experienced with PET-CT.
PET-MRI offers a lower ionizing radiation dose alternative with higher detection rates in a variety of studies when compared with the widely established PET-CT hybrid imaging technique 3. PET-MRI is of particular benefit to pediatric patients with chronic inflammatory conditions or malignancy, where serial follow up examinations following therapy are required 4. Additional benefits of PET-MRI include improved image alignment/coregistration due to simultaneous acquisition of PET and MRI images, superior soft tissue contrast to PET-CT and ability to use MRI contrast agents 5.
Current applications of PET-MRI include 3,4:
head and neck cancers (particularly post-surgery)
pelvic malignancies including prostate, rectal, ovarian, cervical and endometrial cancers
infectious and inflammatory disorders
neurological conditions including temporal lobe epilepsy
- 1. Schlemmer H, Pichler B, Schmand M et al. Simultaneous MR/PET Imaging of the Human Brain: Feasibility Study. Radiology. 2008;248(3):1028-35. doi:10.1148/radiol.2483071927 - Pubmed
- 2. Zaidi H, Ojha N, Morich M et al. Design and Performance Evaluation of a Whole-Body Ingenuity TF PET-MRI System. Phys Med Biol. 2011;56(10):3091-106. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/56/10/013 - Pubmed
- 3. Bailey D, Pichler B, Gückel B et al. Combined PET/MRI: Global Warming-Summary Report of the 6th International Workshop on PET/MRI, March 27-29, 2017, Tübingen, Germany. Mol Imaging Biol. 2018;20(1):4-20. doi:10.1007/s11307-017-1123-5 - Pubmed
- 4. Ehman E, Johnson G, Villanueva-Meyer J et al. PET/MRI: Where Might It Replace PET/CT? J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017;46(5):1247-62. doi:10.1002/jmri.25711 - Pubmed
- 5. Musafargani S, Ghosh K, Mishra S, Mahalakshmi P, Padmanabhan P, Gulyás B. PET/MRI: A Frontier in Era of Complementary Hybrid Imaging. European J Hybrid Imaging. 2018;2(1):12. doi:10.1186/s41824-018-0030-6 - Pubmed