Citation, DOI & article data
Early systems were tested in the late 2000s with commercial availability from 2010 1,2. The availability of PET-MRI remains limited, largely due to the costs and expertise required. PET-MRI acquisition times are longer than those experienced with PET-CT.
PET-MRI offers a lower ionizing radiation dose alternative with higher detection rates in a variety of studies when compared with the widely established PET-CT hybrid imaging technique 3. PET-MRI is of particular benefit to pediatric patients with chronic inflammatory conditions or malignancy, where serial follow up examinations following therapy are required 4. Additional benefits of PET-MRI include improved image alignment/coregistration due to simultaneous acquisition of PET and MRI images, superior soft tissue contrast to PET-CT and ability to use MRI contrast agents 5.
Current applications of PET-MRI include 3,4:
- head and neck cancers (particularly post-surgery)
- lung cancer particularly for evaluation of brain metastases and local invasion in the thorax
- hepatobiliary cancers (primary and secondary) +/- using novel PET tracers such as Ga68-DOTATATE
- pelvic malignancies including prostate, rectal, ovarian, cervical and endometrial cancers
- infectious and inflammatory disorders
- neurological conditions including temporal lobe epilepsy
- 1. Schlemmer H, Pichler B, Schmand M et al. Simultaneous MR/PET Imaging of the Human Brain: Feasibility Study. Radiology. 2008;248(3):1028-35. doi:10.1148/radiol.2483071927 - Pubmed
- 2. Zaidi H, Ojha N, Morich M et al. Design and Performance Evaluation of a Whole-Body Ingenuity TF PET-MRI System. Phys Med Biol. 2011;56(10):3091-106. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/56/10/013 - Pubmed
- 3. Bailey D, Pichler B, Gückel B et al. Combined PET/MRI: Global Warming-Summary Report of the 6th International Workshop on PET/MRI, March 27-29, 2017, Tübingen, Germany. Mol Imaging Biol. 2018;20(1):4-20. doi:10.1007/s11307-017-1123-5 - Pubmed
- 4. Ehman E, Johnson G, Villanueva-Meyer J et al. PET/MRI: Where Might It Replace PET/CT? J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017;46(5):1247-62. doi:10.1002/jmri.25711 - Pubmed
- 5. Musafargani S, Ghosh K, Mishra S, Mahalakshmi P, Padmanabhan P, Gulyás B. PET/MRI: A Frontier in Era of Complementary Hybrid Imaging. European J Hybrid Imaging. 2018;2(1):12. doi:10.1186/s41824-018-0030-6 - Pubmed