Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Aaron Rayan had no recorded disclosures.View Aaron Rayan's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
The pharyngobasilar fascia is the part of the middle layer of deep cervical fascia that attaches the pharynx to the skull base. It originates between the mucosal and muscular layers of the pharynx and is the primary component of the pharyngeal wall above the level of the superior pharyngeal constrictor muscle.
The pharyngobasilar fascia provides structure to the lateral nasopharyngeal walls and helps maintain patency of the airway.
- superiorly: basilar part of occipital bone and petrous temporal bone
- inferiorly: superior pharyngeal constrictor muscle
- anteriorly: posterior border of medial pterygoid plate
- posteriorly: midline pharyngeal raphe
Relations and/or Boundaries
- 1. Susan Standring. Gray's Anatomy. (2015) ISBN: 9780702052309
- 2. Raymond Jack Last, Robert Matthew Hay McMinn. Last's anatomy, regional and applied. (1994) ISBN: 9780443046629
- 3. Som, P. M., & Curtin, H. D. (2003). Head and neck imaging (4th ed., Vol. 1-2). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
- 4. Tubbs, Shane R. et al. “Quantification and Anatomy of the Sinus of Morgagni at the Skull Base.” (2015).
- 5. Hyare H, Wisco JJ, Alusi G, Cohen M, Nabili V, Abemayor E, Kirsch CF. The anatomy of nasopharyngeal carcinoma spread through the pharyngobasilar fascia to the trigeminal mandibular nerve on 1.5 T MRI. (2010) Surgical and radiologic anatomy : SRA. 32 (10): 937-44. doi:10.1007/s00276-010-0638-0 - Pubmed
- 6. Sakata K, Hareyama M, Tamakawa M, Oouchi A, Sido M, Nagakura H, Akiba H, Koito K, Himi T, Asakura K. Prognostic factors of nasopharynx tumors investigated by MR imaging and the value of MR imaging in the newly published TNM staging. (1999) International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. 43 (2): 273-8. doi:10.1016/s0360-3016(98)00417-9 - Pubmed
- 7. Silver AJ, Mawad ME, Hilal SK, Sane P, Ganti SR. Computed tomography of the nasopharynx and related spaces. Part I: Anatomy. (1983) Radiology. 147 (3): 725-31. doi:10.1148/radiology.147.3.6844608 - Pubmed
- 8. Teresi LM, Lufkin RB, Vinuela F, Dietrich RB, Wilson GH, Bentson JR, Hanafee WN. MR imaging of the nasopharynx and floor of the middle cranial fossa. Part I. Normal anatomy. (1987) Radiology. 164 (3): 811-6. doi:10.1148/radiology.164.3.3615883 - Pubmed