Phemister triad (tuberculosis)
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Omar Alabdulkareem had no recorded disclosures.View Omar Alabdulkareem's current disclosures
The triad of Phemister refers to three radiographic features seen classically with tuberculous arthropathy 4:
- juxta-articular osteopenia/osteoporosis
- peripheral osseous erosions
- gradual narrowing of joint space
History and etymology
Named after Dallas Burton Phemister (1882-1951), American orthopedic surgeon 3.
- 1. Mittal R, Gupta V, Rastogi S. Tuberculosis of the foot. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999; 81(6): 997-1000. [pubmed citation]
- 2. Jacobson JA, Girish G, Jiang Y, Resnick D. Radiographic evaluation of arthritis: inflammatory conditions. Radiology. 2008; 248(2): 378-89. doi:10.1148/radiol.2482062110 [pubmed citation]
- 3. GILCHRIST RK. Dallas Burton Phemister 1882-1951. (1952) Transactions of the ... Meeting of the American Surgical Association. American Surgical Association. Meeting. 70: 431-2. Pubmed
- 4. Chattopadhyay A, Sharma A, Gupta K, Jain S. The Phemister triad. Lancet. 2018 May 26;391(10135):e20. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30986-3. Epub 2018 May 24. PMID: 29856345.