Polymyalgia rheumatica (musculoskeletal manifestations)
Citation, DOI & article data
Musculoskeletal manifestations of polymyalgia rheumatica are the commonest presentation of polymyalgia rheumatica.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is the most common inflammatory rheumatic condition in older adults 1.
Patients typically present with 1:
- shoulder or pelvic girdle aches lasting over 2 weeks
- morning shoulder or pelvic girdle stiffness
- raised inflammatory markers (e.g. ESR)
Although usually not required ultrasound may commonly show 2:
Treatment and prognosis
Treatment is usually low dose corticosteroids which most patients respond well to 1.
- 1. Michet CJ, Matteson EL. Polymyalgia rheumatica. (2008) BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 336 (7647): 765-9. doi:10.1136/bmj.39514.653588.80 - Pubmed
- 2. Camellino D, Cimmino MA. Imaging of polymyalgia rheumatica: indications on its pathogenesis, diagnosis and prognosis. (2012) Rheumatology (Oxford, England). 51 (1): 77-86. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/keq450 - Pubmed