Post surgical breast scar
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Post surgical breast scar is a benign complication that usually occurs following surgical intervention to breast tissue. It can however be a strong and potentially very confusing mimicker of breast malignancy.
Review of the patient's past history and previous mammography is extremely useful in radiographic interpretation.
Often appears as an area of architectural distortion, a poorly marginated soft-tissue mass with interspersed radiolucent areas 4 or at times a spiculated breast lesion. The abnormality may decrease slowly over time. Associated calcifications may also be present 6.
Postsurgical scarring usually has some relation to the cutaneous scar or region of previous surgical intervention.
A post surgical scar should also maintain interval stability or decrease in size over interval mammography.
- 1. Sickles EA, Herzog KA. Mammography of the postsurgical breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1981;136 (3): 585-8. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Pojchamarnwiputh S, Muttarak M, Na-chiangmai W et-al. Benign breast lesions mimicking carcinoma at mammography. Singapore Med J. 2007;48 (10): 958-68. Singapore Med J (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Provenzale JM, Nelson RC, Radiology DU. Duke radiology case review, imaging, differential diagnosis, and discussion. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (1997) ISBN:0397516134. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Harvey JA, Holm MK, Ranganath R et-al. The effects of bazedoxifene on mammographic breast density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Menopause. 16 (6): 1193-6. doi:10.1097/gme.0b013e3181a7fb1e - Pubmed citation
- 5. Yazici B, Sever AR, Mills P et-al. Scar formation after stereotactic vacuum-assisted core biopsy of benign breast lesions. Clin Radiol. 2006;61 (7): 619-24. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2006.03.008 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Cox CE, Greenberg H, Fleisher D et-al. Natural history and clinical evaluation of the lumpectomy scar. Am Surg. 1993;59 (1): 55-9. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Chinyama CN. Benign breast diseases, radiology, pathology, risk assessment. Springer Verlag. (2004) ISBN:3540204725. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 8. Paredes ES. Atlas of mammography. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781764335. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon