Posterior oblique ligament of the knee
Citation, DOI & article data
The posterior oblique ligament (POL) belongs to the medial supporting structures of the knee and is one of the five components of the posteromedial corner (PMC) of the knee.
It is located posterior to the medial collateral ligament (MCL) and is composed of the intermediate and deep medial capsular layer 1-4.
The femoral attachment originates just distal and posterior to the adductor tubercle 5.
Its distal attachment consists of three components: a superficial, central and capsular extension 2,3:
- the superficial extension attaches to the proximal tibia together with the distal insertion of the semimembranosus tendon and blends anteriorly with the posterior part of the medial collateral ligament
- the central extension is the most prominent part and attaches to the posteromedial part of the medial meniscus
- the capsular extension blends into the posteromedial joint capsule and fuses with the capsular insertion of the semimembranosus tendon as well as the medial part of the oblique popliteal ligament 2,3
- 1. De Maeseneer M, Van Roy F, Lenchik L, Barbaix E, De Ridder F, Osteaux M. Three Layers of the Medial Capsular and Supporting Structures of the Knee: MR Imaging—Anatomic Correlation. RadioGraphics. 2000;20(suppl_1):S83-9. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.suppl_1.g00oc05s83 - Pubmed
- 2. Lundquist R, Matcuk G, Schein A et al. Posteromedial Corner of the Knee: The Neglected Corner. RadioGraphics. 2015;35(4):1123-37. doi:10.1148/rg.2015140166 - Pubmed
- 3. Tadros A, Nguyen T, Curtis B, Huang B, Resnick D. Medial Supporting Structures of the Knee with Emphasis on the Medial Collateral Ligament. Radsource - MRI Web Clinic June 2018
- 4. Warren L & Marshall J. The Supporting Structures and Layers on the Medial Side of the Knee: An Anatomical Analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979;61(1):56-62. - Pubmed
- 5. Wijdicks C, Griffith C, LaPrade R et al. Radiographic Identification of the Primary Medial Knee Structures. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91(3):521-9. doi:10.2106/JBJS.H.00909 - Pubmed
- 6. Hughston J & Eilers A. The Role of the Posterior Oblique Ligament in Repairs of Acute Medial (Collateral) Ligament Tears of the Knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1973;55(5):923-40. - Pubmed