Practical radiography: A Hand-Book of the Applications of the X-Rays
Citation, DOI & article data
The book Practical radiography: A Hand-Book of the Applications of the X-Rays was the first ever textbook on x-rays anywhere in the world. It was written by H Snowden Ward and first published in May 1896 by Dawbarn & Ward. This is a mere six months after Wilhelm Roentgen's discovery of x-rays.
H Snowden Ward (1865-1911) was a British professional photographer and not a physician. Many of the early practitioners of radiology were from photographic or electrical engineering backgrounds. Ward was a founder member of the Roentgen Society, a forerunner of the British Institute of Radiology.
Following the publication of the first edition in 1896, there were two subsequent editions, which unlike the first iteration, were both written with Adolph W Isenthal (fl.1895-1957), another founder member of the Roentgen Society, early British radiographer and qualified electrical engineer 1,8,9. The 2nd edition came out in 1898 and the 3rd edition in 1901.
Due to its historic importance, this classic text has been reprinted in more modern times, most recently in 2018 6.
- 1. Mould R. Henry Snowden Ward (1865–1911) Biography with special reference to X-rays in 1896. Nowotwory. Journal of Oncology 2018;68(4):212-219.
- 2. Edmund H. Burrows. Pioneers and Early Years. (1986) ISBN: 095116760X
- 3. Ward, H. Snowden (Henry Snowden). (1896). Practical radiography: a hand-book of the applications of the X-rays. London: Pub. for the Photogram, Ltd., Dawbarn & Ward, Ltd.
- 4. Isenthal AW, Ward HS. Practical Radiography: a Handbook of the Applications of the X-Rays, with many illustrations. London: published for The Photogram Ltd., Dawbarn & Ward Ltd., September 1898, 2nd edn., 158 pp.
- 5. Isenthal AW, Ward HS. Practical Radiography: a Handbook for physicians, surgeons, &other users of X-rays. London: published for The Photogram Ltd., Dawbarn & Ward Ltd., 1901, 3rd edn., 198 pp.
- 6. Henry Snowden Ward. Practical Radiography. (2018-10-07) ISBN: 9780341729167
- 7. Obituary. J Röntgen Soc January 1912; 8(30): 26.
- 8. A. W. Isenthal, M.I.E.E. BJR. 1957;30(353):262-262. doi:10.1259/0007-1285-30-353-262-b
- 9. Ferrier H. Review of High-Powered Mobile X-Ray Unit. BJR. 1934;7(79):426-434. doi:10.1259/0007-1285-7-79-426