Pregnancy associated breast cancer
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created The Radswiki had no recorded disclosures.View The Radswiki's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Pregnancy associated breast cancer (PABC) is usually defined as a breast cancer diagnosed during pregnancy or one year following delivery. PABC occurs in one out of every 1500-10,000 pregnancies 5-6 and represents up to 3% of all breast malignancies. The incidence may be increasing due to many women delaying pregnancy over recent years.
Ultrasound is a usual initial imaging modality in evaluating the breast in a pregnant or lactating patient.
Despite dense breast associated with pregnancy, pregnancy associated breast cancers are often detectable on mammography 2. Pregnancy associated breast cancer is however often advanced at diagnosis and associated with poor prognosis.
- 1. Liberman L, Giess CS, Dershaw DD et-al. Imaging of pregnancy-associated breast cancer. Radiology. 1994;191 (1): 245-8. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Yang WT, Dryden MJ, Gwyn K et-al. Imaging of breast cancer diagnosed and treated with chemotherapy during pregnancy. Radiology. 2006;239 (1): 52-60. doi:10.1148/radiol.2391050083 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Ayyappan AP, Kulkarni S, Crystal P. Pregnancy-associated breast cancer: spectrum of imaging appearances. Br J Radiol. 2010;83 (990): 529-34. doi:10.1259/bjr/17982822 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ahn BY, Kim HH, Moon WK et-al. Pregnancy- and lactation-associated breast cancer: mammographic and sonographic findings. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22 (5): 491-7. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Sabate JM, Clotet M, Torrubia S et-al. Radiologic evaluation of breast disorders related to pregnancy and lactation. Radiographics. 2007;27 Suppl 1 : S101-24. doi:10.1148/rg.27si075505 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Cardeñosa G. Clinical breast imaging, a patient focused teaching file. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2006) ISBN:0781762677. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon