Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Premature thelarche is the onset of female breast development before age 7–8 years.
As with age-appropriate thelarche, premature thelarche may be asymmetric or unilateral.
Premature thelarche may occur as an isolated event or as part of precocious puberty. Isolated premature thelarche generally occurs in girls aged 1-3 years and is non-progressive.
Radiological evaluation for suspected precocious puberty should include a bone age assessment and abdominal and pelvic sonography to look for evidence of maturation of the uterus and ovaries. In addition, the ovaries and adrenal glands should be evaluated for estrogen-producing lesions, including:
functioning ovarian cysts
At sonography, premature thelarche appears as normal developing breast tissue without a discrete lesion.
- 1. Ellen M. Chung, Regino Cube, Gregory J. Hall, Candela González, J. Thomas Stocker, Leonard M. Glassman. Breast Masses in Children and Adolescents: Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation1. (2009) RadioGraphics. 29 (3): 907-31. doi:10.1148/rg.293095010 - Pubmed
- 2. Cristián J. García, Aníbal Espinoza, Víctor Dinamarca, Oscar Navarro, Alan Daneman, Hernán García, Andreina Cattani. Breast US in Children and Adolescents1. (2000) RadioGraphics. 20 (6): 1605-12. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.6.g00nv171605 - Pubmed
- 3. Weinstein SP, Conant EF, Orel SG, Zuckerman JA, Bellah R. Spectrum of US findings in pediatric and adolescent patients with palpable breast masses. (2000) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 20 (6): 1613-21. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.6.g00nv091613 - Pubmed
- 4. Youn I, Park SH, Lim IS, Kim SJ. Ultrasound assessment of breast development: distinction between premature thelarche and precocious puberty. (2015) AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 204 (3): 620-4. doi:10.2214/AJR.14.12565 - Pubmed