Primary breast chondrosarcoma
Citation, DOI & article data
Primary breast chondrosarcoma is a rare type of sarcoma that originates from the mammary stroma and not from the underlying bone or cartilage of the chest wall.
The prevalence of primary breast chondrosarcoma is reported to be 0.5-1%, they represent <5% of all sarcomas 1,14.
The clinical presentation of primary breast chondrosarcoma is varied, but they usually occur in females over 50 years old. It varies from a rapidly growing, mobile, well-circumscribed mass, that may be painful, to an irregular mass with lobulated margins.
Primary breast chondrosarcoma originates from mesenchymal cells of the mammary stroma.
Microscopically, primary breast chondrosarcoma is characterized by cellular atypia in chondroid lacunae and cellular pleomorphism 9,12. Pure chondrosarcomas without any area of epithelial differentiation are even rarer.
The role of imaging is to determine staging and prognosis, but the definitive diagnosis is made histopathologically.
Usually appear relatively benign as a hyperdense opacity with regular margins and a round shape.
A hyperechoic multilobed or a complex echoic mass can be observed.
MRI is used to looking for extension/invasion into adjacent tissues, skin or lymph nodes.
Treatment and prognosis
Gold standard treatment is surgical resection. Several effective mastectomy techniques have been reported, all with an adequate margins resection, in order to reduce the risk of recidivism. The excision of axillary lymph nodes is not recommended since these are rarely invaded and no improvement in prognosis has been reported.
In the case of adjuvant therapy, the literature reports a low response to both, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which is why it is not recommended to use it as an adjuvant treatment.
Prognosis is usually favorable, but it depends on the size and extension of the lesion, resection of the tumoral margins and the histopathological characteristics of each tumor.
- 1. Amadu AM, Soro D, Marras V, Satta G, Crivelli P, Conti M, Meloni GB. Primary breast chondrosarcoma: Imaging and pathological findings. (2017) European journal of radiology open. 4: 138-140. doi:10.1016/j.ejro.2017.11.001 - Pubmed
- 2. Anshu Jain, Veena Maheshwari, Shagufta Qadri, Divya Rabindranath, Nishat Afroz. Primary chondrosarcoma of the breast: a rare case presentation. (2015) Annals of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2 (3): C163.
- 3. Rama Kumari Badyal, Amarjit Singh Kataria, Manpreet Kaur. Primary Chondrosarcoma of Male Breast: A Rare Case. (2012) Indian Journal of Surgery. 74 (5): 418. doi:10.1007/s12262-012-0439-2 - Pubmed
- 4. Emin Gurleyik, Umran Yildirim, Omer Gunal, Mevlut Pehlivan. Malignant Mesenchymal Tumor of the Breast: Primary Chondrosarcoma. (2018) Breast Care. 4 (2): 101. doi:10.1159/000212101 - Pubmed
- 5. Beltaos, Efstathios, Banerjee, Tarit K.. Chondrosarcoma of the Breast: Report of Two Cases. (1979) American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 71 (3): 345. doi:10.1093/ajcp/71.3.345 - Pubmed
- 6. S.J. Bhosale, A.Y. Kshirsagar, S.R. Sulhyan, S.V. Jagtap, Y.P. Nikam. Metaplastic Carcinoma with Predominant Chondrosarcoma of the Right Breast. (2018) Case Reports in Oncology. 3 (2): 277. doi:10.1159/000319423 - Pubmed
- 7. Cong, Y., Fang, X., Qiao, G., Zou, H., Lin, J., & Zhu, S. (2018). Case Report Primary extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma with adenofibroma of the breast : a case report and literatures review. Int J Clin Exp Med, 11(4), 4317–4323.
- 8. Sanaa Errarhay, Mohamed Fetohi, Samia Mahmoud, Hanane Saadi, Chahrazed Bouchikhi, Abdelaziz Banani. Primary chondrosarcoma of the breast: a case presentation and review of the literature. (2013) World Journal of Surgical Oncology. 11 (1): 208. doi:10.1186/1477-7819-11-208 - Pubmed
- 9. Farahat A, Magdy N, Elaffandi A. Primary myxoid chondrosarcoma of the breast. (2014) Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 96 (1): 112E-411E. doi:10.1308/003588414X13824511649210 - Pubmed
- 10. Emin Gurleyik, Umran Yildirim, Omer Gunal, Mevlut Pehlivan. Malignant Mesenchymal Tumor of the Breast: Primary Chondrosarcoma. (2018) Breast Care. 4 (2): 101. doi:10.1159/000212101 - Pubmed
- 11. Akhila Lakshmikantha, Vibha Kawatra, Deepali Varma, Nita Khurana. Primary Breast Chondrosarcoma. (2010) The Breast Journal. 16 (5): 553. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4741.2010.00960.x - Pubmed
- 12. Militello G, Zabbia G, Mascolino A, Kabhuli K, Gulotta E, De Marco P, Incandela F, Scerrino G, Gulotta G. Skin-nipple-sparing mastectomy: The first approach in primary myxoid chondrosarcoma of the breast. (2017) International journal of surgery case reports. 34: 130-133. doi:10.1016/j.ijscr.2017.03.016 - Pubmed
- 13. Mujtaba SS, Haroon S, Faridi N. Primary chondrosarcoma of breast. (2013) Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan : JCPSP. 23 (10): 754-5. doi:10.2013/JCPSP.754755 - Pubmed
- 14. Vittorio Pasta, Massimo Monti, Michela Cialini, Massimo Vergine, Paolo Urciuoli, Annunziata Iacovelli, Silvio Rea, Valerio D’Orazi. Primitive sarcoma of the breast: new insight on the proper surgical management. (2015) Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. 34 (1): 72. doi:10.1186/s13046-015-0190-1 - Pubmed
- 15. Pasta,Vittorio, Sottile,Daniela, Urciuoli,Paolo, Del Vecchio,Luca, Custureri,Filippo, D'Orazi,Valerio. Rare chondrosarcoma of the breast treated with quadrantectomy instead of mastectomy: A case report. (2015) Oncology Letters. 9 (3): 1116. doi:10.3892/ol.2014.2803 - Pubmed