Primary idiopathic hypothyroidism with thyroid atrophy
Primary idiopathic hypothyroidism with thyroid atrophy (or Ord disease) is one of the causes of hypothyroidism. Some authors consider this entity as being on the same spectrum as Hashimoto disease while others consider it as distinct entities.
The thyroid gland may appear atrophic.
- 1. Carlé A, Pedersen IB, Knudsen N et-al. Thyroid volume in hypothyroidism due to autoimmune disease follows a unimodal distribution: evidence against primary thyroid atrophy and autoimmune thyroiditis being distinct diseases. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009;94 (3): 833-9. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. (full text) - doi:10.1210/jc.2008-1370 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Amino N. Autoimmunity and hypothyroidism. Baillieres Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1989;2 (3): 591-617. Pubmed citation
- 3. Davies TF. Ord-Hashimoto's disease: renaming a common disorder-again. Thyroid. 2003;13 (4): 317. doi:10.1089/105072503321669776 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Williams D. Hashimoto's and Ord's diseases. Thyroid. 2003;13 (12): 1189. doi:10.1089/10507250360731640 - Pubmed citation
- thyroid inflammatory disease
- thyroid neoplasms
- thyroid nodules
- assessment of thyroid lesions
- postoperative assessment after thyroid cancer surgery
- ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid