Prostate cystic disease
Citation, DOI and article data
Prostate cystic disease encompasses a wide variety of pathologies that all result in cyst formation within the prostate.
Prostatic cysts are common, and ~5-8% men will develop one 4,7. However they are much more common in patients being investigated for infertility, with one study showing a 20% prevalence 7.
- midline cystic lesions/cyst-like lesions
- lateral cystic lesions
- 1. Dähnert W. Radiology review manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2003) ISBN:0781738954. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Curran S, Akin O, Agildere AM et-al. Endorectal MRI of prostatic and periprostatic cystic lesions and their mimics. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;188 (5): 1373-9. doi:10.2214/AJR.06.0759 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Nghiem HT, Kellman GM, Sandberg SA et-al. Cystic lesions of the prostate. Radiographics. 1990;10 (4): 635-50. Radiographics (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ishikawa M, Okabe H, Oya T et-al. Midline prostatic cysts in healthy men: incidence and transabdominal sonographic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003;181 (6): 1669-72. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Schwartz JM, Bosniak MA, Hulnick DH et-al. Computed tomography of midline cysts of the prostate. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1988;12 (2): 215-8. Pubmed citation
- 6. Shebel HM, Farg HM, Kolokythas O, El-Diasty T. Cysts of the lower male genitourinary tract: embryologic and anatomic considerations and differential diagnosis. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 33 (4): 1125-43. doi:10.1148/rg.334125129 - Pubmed
- 7. Kim ED, Onel E, Honig SC, Lipschultz LI. The prevalence of cystic abnormalities of the prostate involving the ejaculatory ducts as detected by transrectal ultrasound. (1997) International urology and nephrology. 29 (6): 647-52. Pubmed