Prostatic cystadenoma or multilocular cystadenoma of prostate is a rare benign neoplasm arising in the prostate gland.
If lesions are considerably large they may also be termed giant multilocular cystadenomas of the prostate.
Lesions are histologically characterised by glands and cysts lined with cuboidal epithelium in a hypocellular fibrous stroma. Positive immunohistochemical staining of epithelial cells for PSA often confirm their prostatic origins. Macroscopically, the lesions are generally well circumscribed.
Ultrasound/transrectal ultrasound (TRUS)
May show a large multiseptated cystic mass +/- some soft-tissue components may be present.
Treatment and prognosis
The natural history of prostatic cystadenomas are not well known, and there may be varying opinions on optimum management strategies. Although they are benign lesions, cystadenomas can be locally aggressive and be adherent to surrounding viscera.
Imaging differential considerations include:
- parasitic hyperplasia or prostate
- phylloides variant of atypical prostatic hyperplasia
- cystic prostatic carcinoma
- cystic degeneration in benign prostatic hyperplasia
- prostatic retention cyst
- cavitary prostatitis, prostatic abscess: different clinical picture
- prostate tumours
- infections of the prostate
- benign prostatic hypertrophy
- cystic lesions of the prostate
- prostate cancer
- 1. Chang JM, Lee HJ, Lee SE et-al. Pictorial review: Unusual tumours involving the prostate: radiological-pathological findings. Br J Radiol. 2008;81 (971): 907-15. Br J Radiol (full text) - doi:10.1259/bjr/68294775 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rusch D, Moinzadeh A, Hamawy K et-al. Giant multilocular cystadenoma of the prostate. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179 (6): 1477-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Chowdhury MM, Abdulkarim JA. Case report. Multilocular cystadenoma of the prostate presenting as a giant pelvic mass. Br J Radiol. 2009;82 (982): e200-1. Br J Radiol (full text) - doi:10.1259/bjr/81852740 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Allen EA, Brinker DA, Coppola D et-al. Multilocular prostatic cystadenoma with high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Urology. 2003;61 (3): 644. Pubmed citation
- 5. Matsumoto K, Egawa S, Iwabuchi K et-al. Prostatic cystadenoma presenting as a large multilocular mass. Int. J. Urol. 2002;9 (7): 410-2. Pubmed citation