Pulmonary cladophialophora infection
Citation, DOI & article data
Pulmonary cladophialophora infections are a form of rare pulmonary fungal infection caused by Cladophialophora spp. such as
- Cladophialophora boppi
- Cladophialophora bantiana
Cladophialophora is a genus of fungi in the family Herpotrichiellaceae with around 35 species described.
The belong to the group phaeohyphomycosis which are a heterogeneous group of fungal species commonly found in the soil and characterized by dematiaceous (darkly pigmented brown or black) hyphal forms in tissue.
The imaging features of pulmonary cladophialophora infection are not well described at the current time (2022). Only occasional case reports have been published and predominantly in those who are immunocompromised. In several cases, concurrent CNS infections (such as brain abscesses) have also been described 3.
- 1. Anas Mansour & Kim Jordan. Disseminated Cladophialophora Bantiana Disease in a Patient with Prediabetes. Case Reports. 2014;2014(nov14 1):bcr2014206426. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-206426 - Pubmed
- 2. Lastoria C, Cascina A, Bini F et al. Pulmonary Cladophialophora Boppii Infection in a Lung Transplant Recipient: Case Report and Literature Review. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009;28(6):635-7. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2009.02.014 - Pubmed
- 3. Maskin L, Garcia Hernandez M, Stryjewski M, Rodriguez P. A 31-Year-Old Man With Seizures, Brain Lesion, and Lung Nodules. Chest. 2021;160(6):e639-43. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2021.07.051 - Pubmed
- 4. Reynaud Q, Dupont D, Nove-Josserand R et al. Rare and Unusual Presentation of Cladophialophora Infection in a Pulmonary Transplant Cystic Fibrosis Patient. Transpl Infect Dis. 2017;19(6):e12789. doi:10.1111/tid.12789 - Pubmed
- 5. Hernandez C & Lawal F. Cerebral and Pulmonary Phaeohyphomycosis Due in an Immunocompromised Patient. IDCases. 2021;25:e01240. doi:10.1016/j.idcr.2021.e01240 - Pubmed