Pulmonary meningothelial-like nodules, also referred to as minute pulmonary meningothelial‐like nodules, are rare incidental interstitial pulmonary nodules that can be solitary or diffuse (diffuse pulmonary meningotheliomatosis).
They previously called pulmonary chemodectomas, but as further studies revealed they resemble meningothelial cells and do not contain endocrine granules 3,5.
The reported incidence can be variable from 0.3-9.5% at autopsy or surgical specimens 4.
They share some histologic, ultrastructural, and immunohistochemical features with meningiomas (resemble meningothelial cells) but are different from the latter based on the major molecular genetic events seen in their formation and progression 2.
They lack neuroendocrine features and differ from mesothelium.
They tend to be randomly distributed in alveolar septa with no consistent relation to small blood vessels 1.
Treatment and prognosis
At the time of writing (early 2018) they are considered benign in nature 4.
- 1. Mukhopadhyay S, El-Zammar OA, Katzenstein AL. Pulmonary meningothelial-like nodules: new insights into a common but poorly understood entity. (2009) The American journal of surgical pathology. 33 (4): 487-95. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e31818b1de7 - Pubmed
- 2. Ionescu DN, Sasatomi E, Aldeeb D, Omalu BI, Finkelstein SD, Swalsky PA, Yousem SA. Pulmonary meningothelial-like nodules: a genotypic comparison with meningiomas. (2004) The American journal of surgical pathology. 28 (2): 207-14. Pubmed
- 3. Gaffey MJ, Mills SE, Askin FB. Minute pulmonary meningothelial-like nodules. A clinicopathologic study of so-called minute pulmonary chemodectoma. (1988) The American journal of surgical pathology. 12 (3): 167-75. Pubmed
- 4. Lee SK, Kim GJ, Kim YJ, Leem AY, Hwang ED, Kim SK, Chang J, Kang YA, Kim SY. Minute pulmonary meningothelial-like nodules simulating hematogenous lung metastasis: a case report. (2013) Tuberculosis and respiratory diseases. 75 (2): 67-70. doi:10.4046/trd.2013.75.2.67 - Pubmed
- 5. Xiao‐Xiao Peng, Li‐Xu Yan, Chao Liu, Si‐Yun Wang, Wen‐Feng Li, Xing Gao, Xue‐Wu Wei, Qing Zhou. Benign disease prone to be misdiagnosed as malignant pulmonary nodules: Minute meningothelioid nodules. (2019) Thoracic Cancer. doi:10.1111/1759-7714.13061 - Pubmed