Pulmonary sequestration (intralobar)
Intralobar pulmonary sequestration (ILS) is a subtype of pulmonary sequestration.
Patients usually present before the third decade with recurrent infection.
It is the commoner type of pulmonary sequestration (four times commoner than extralobar sequestration), accounting for 75% of all sequestrations and is characterised by the sequestration surrounded by normal lung tissue without its own pleural covering.
There is increasing data to support the concept of sequestrations stemming from recurrent infections that produce aberrant arterial vessels arising from the aorta 6. Feeding vessels include branches from the thoracic aorta (75%), abdominal aorta, intercostal artery or multiple arteries.
There is strong predilection towards the lower lobes (predominantly left lower lobe).
Treatment and prognosis
Surgical excision is the mainstay of treatment.
On imaging possible differential considerations include
- 1. Prasad R, Garg R, Verma SK. Intralobar sequestration of lung. Lung India. 2009;26 (4): 159-61. doi:10.4103/0970-2113.56357 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Frazier AA, Rosado de Christenson ML, Stocker JT et-al. Intralobar sequestration: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 1997;17 (3): 725-45. Radiographics (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Molinari F, Paolantonio G, Valente S et-al. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Intralobar pulmonary sequestration in a 46-year-old woman: findings from multidetector-row computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Circulation. 2009;119 (11): e368-70. Circulation (full text) - doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.791475 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ferretti GR, Jouvan FB, Coulomb M. MDCT demonstration of intralobar pulmonary sequestration of the right upper lobe in an adult. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;185 (6): 1663-4. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0155 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kayhan S, Celik B, Belet U et-al. Intralobar pulmonary sequestratıon as an unusual cause of recurrent hemoptysis. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2012;2 (1): 71. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.104304 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Lee EY, Boiselle PM, Cleveland RH. Multidetector CT evaluation of congenital lung anomalies. Radiology. 2008;247 (3): 632-48. Radiology (full text) - doi:10.1148/radiol.2473062124 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Felker RE, Tonkin IL. Imaging of pulmonary sequestration. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990;154 (2): 241-9. doi:10.2214/ajr.154.2.2105007 - Pubmed citation