Pulmonary talc granulomatosis is one of the forms of talc induced pulmonary disease. It is mainly caused by the injection of tablets intended for oral consumption.
It is characterised by the development of foreign body granuloma secondary to talc exposure.
The exact pathophysiological mechanism for this is not well known. Talc embolisation is thought to result in an initial inflammatory arteritis, associated with a rapid influx of neutrophils around talc particles. Migration of particles to the surrounding perivascular and pulmonary interstitial tissue with subsequent foreign body granuloma development.
There can be widespread small (2-3 mm) well-defined nodules, there may be mid zone predilection. With disease progression, the nodules coalesce and massive fibrosis can occur.
May show a diffuse nodules, a ground-glass pattern with emphysema.
- 1. Low SE, Low SU, Nicol A. Talc induced pulmonary granulomatosis. J. Clin. Pathol. 2006;59 (2): 223. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Hollinger MA. Pulmonary toxicity of inhaled and intravenous talc. Toxicol. Lett. 1990;52 (2): 121-7. Pubmed citation
- 3. Krimsky WS, Dhand S. Pulmonary talc granulomatosis mimicking malignant disease 30 years after last exposure: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2008;2 (1): 225. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-2-225 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Restrepo CS, Carrillo JA, Martínez S et-al. Pulmonary complications from cocaine and cocaine-based substances: imaging manifestations. Radiographics. 2007;27 (4): 941-56. doi:10.1148/rg.274065144 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Flora GS, Sharma AM, Sharma OP. Talc granulomatosis: two unusual presentations. Sarcoidosis. 1994;8 (2): 136-9. Pubmed citation
- 6. Oubeid M, Bickel JT, Ingram EA et-al. Pulmonary talc granulomatosis in a cocaine sniffer. Chest. 1990;98 (1): 237-9. Pubmed citation
- 7. Ward S, Heyneman LE, Reittner P et-al. Talcosis associated with IV abuse of oral medications: CT findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000;174 (3): 789-93. doi:10.2214/ajr.174.3.1740789 - Pubmed citation
- 8. Genereux GP, Emson HE. Talc granulomatosis and angiothrombotic pulmonary hypertension in drug addicts. J Can Assoc Radiol. 1974;25 (2): 87-93. Pubmed citation