Recurrent breast cancer
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created The Radswiki had no recorded disclosures.View The Radswiki's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Rohit Sharma had no recorded disclosures.View Rohit Sharma's current disclosures
The term recurrent breast cancer in medical imaging is given to recurrence of malignancy within the same breast at or close to the resection bed more than two years following surgical excision.
The rate of local recurrence may be as high as 19% in 10 years. The maximum for recurrence occurs ~4-6 years post treatment.
Recognized risk factors include:
- close +/- positive margins at time of resection
- extensive intraductal components (EIC)
- inadequate adjuvant radiation therapy
- young age at initial presentation
- multicentric breast cancer
- multifocal breast cancer
On mammography, the appearance of recurrent breast cancers are generally thought to be mammographically similar to the original breast tumor 2.
MRI offers an advantage over conventional methods in assessing recurrence. This can be seen in evaluating of tumor recurrence versus scarring where enhancement in the post-surgical scar should decrease substantially over the first 2 years. The presence of enhancement at the lumpectomy site after ~18 months since surgery is considered a concerning feature for recurrent breast cancer.
- 1. Conant EF, Brennecke CM. Breast imaging, case review. Mosby Inc. (2006) ISBN:0323017460. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Philpotts LE, Lee CH, Haffty BG et-al. Mammographic findings of recurrent breast cancer after lumpectomy and radiation therapy: comparison with the primary tumor. Radiology. 1996;201 (3): 767-71. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Cardeñosa G. Clinical breast imaging, a patient focused teaching file. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2006) ISBN:0781762677. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Paredes ES. Atlas of mammography. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781764335. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon