Renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Kelly Trinh had no recorded disclosures.View Kelly Trinh's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Radiopaedia Events Pty Ltd, Speaker fees (past)
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinomas are an extremely rare renal tumor, with only six cases reported in the literature (c. 2022) 1.
Renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma represents <1% of the total reported cases of primary renal cancers. The most affected population is male adults with a mean age of 52.5 years 1.
Patients typically present with non-specific symptoms such as hematuria, flank pain, and palpable abdominal mass 1.
Renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma grossly appears as a solid tan-to-grey cut surface with a large zone of necrosis and increased mitotic activity 1,3,4.
Renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma is frequently associated with squamous cell carcinoma or adenocarcinoma 2.
- heterogenous, exophytic mass with calcification 5
Treatment and prognosis
Surgical resection is currently the only curative treatment for renal large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma. The tumor is highly aggressive with a high risk of metastatic development, thus resulting in a poor prognosis ref.
- 1. Sanguedolce F, Calò B, Chirico M, Tortorella S, Carrieri G, Cormio L. Urinary Tract Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: Diagnostic, Prognostic and Therapeutic Issues. Anticancer Res. 2020;40(5):2439-47. doi:10.21873/anticanres.14213 - Pubmed
- 2. Badiu C, Rahnea Nita G, Ciuhu A et al. Neuroendocrine Renal Carcinoma - Therapeutic and Diagnostic Issues. Acta Endocrinol (Buchar). 2016;12(3):355-61. doi:10.4183/aeb.2016.355 - Pubmed
- 3. Lane B, Chery F, Jour G et al. Renal Neuroendocrine Tumours: A Clinicopathological Study. BJU Int. 2007;100(5):1030-5. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.07116.x - Pubmed
- 4. Wann C, John N, Kumar R. Primary Renal Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma in a Young Man. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(11):ND08-9. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/9443.5179 - Pubmed
- 5. Song S, Liang X, Jiang B, Hou S. Primary Renal Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma with Horseshoe Kidney: A Case Report. Asian J Surg. 2021;44(4):702-3. doi:10.1016/j.asjsur.2021.01.008 - Pubmed