Retroplacental haemorrhage (RPH) occurs when there is perigestational haemorrhage that is confined to the retroplacental space.
This type of haemorrhage occurs behind the placenta. The haematoma therefore separates the placenta from the uterine wall. The source of bleeding is probably from spiral arteries.
- in late pregnancy, it is typically caused by an placental abruption
Sonographically, a retroplacental haematoma may mimic a thickened placenta because the haematoma is commonly iso-echoic to the placenta. Otherwise, the retroplacental haematoma may be hypoechoic or may be of heterogeneous echogenicity.
Colour Doppler interrogation will reveal absence of internal blood flow - this finding allows differentiation of haematomas from other placental masses.
For sonographic appearances of increased placental thickness consider
- retroplacental myometrial contraction
- placental anatomy
- placental developmental abnormalities
- placenta previa
- spectrum of abnormal placental villous adherence
- abnormalities of cord insertion
- abruptio placentae
- placental pathology
- vascular pathologies of placenta
- placental infections
- placental masses
- molar pregnancy
- twin placenta
- 1. Kaakaji Y, Nghiem HV, Nodell C et-al. Sonography of obstetric and gynecologic emergencies: Part I, Obstetric emergencies. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000;174 (3): 641-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rizzo G, Capponi A, Soregaroli M et-al. Early fetal circulation in pregnancies complicated by retroplacental hematoma. J Clin Ultrasound. 23 (9): 525-9. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Elsayes KM, Trout AT, Friedkin AM et-al. Imaging of the placenta: a multimodality pictorial review. Radiographics. 29 (5): 1371-91. doi:10.1148/rg.295085242 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Trop I, Levine D. Hemorrhage during pregnancy: sonography and MR imaging. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176 (3): 607-15. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Bluth EI. Ultrasound, a practical approach to clinical problems. George Thieme Verlag. (2000) ISBN:0865778612. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. M.D.A. JE, Physicians AC, Judith T et-al. Emergency Medicine, A Comprehensive Study Guide, Sixth Edition. McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing. (2003) ISBN:0071388753. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon