Right supramesocolic space
Citation, DOI and article data
- right subphrenic space
- right subhepatic space (hepatorenal recess)
- lesser sac (omental bursa)
The right supramesocolic space and its subdivisions are usually in continuity with each other and the rest of the peritoneal subspaces, but this continuity is often broken or distorted by inflammatory adhesions.
Postoperative fluid collections from lower abdominal or pelvic surgery and abscesses from the intraperitoneal spread of pelvic infections are more common in subcompartments of the right supramesocolic space than subcompartments of the left supramesocolic space. This is due to the communication between the pelvic peritoneal space and the right supramesocolic spaces via the right paracolic gutter. Conversely, the left paracolic gutter is shallower and the phrenicocolic ligament tends to limit communication between the left paracolic gutter to the left supramesocolic space. However, this ligament is variable in its presence, structure and location and therefore its ability to limit the spread of fluid and infection between the pelvic cavity and left supramesocolic space 1.
- 1. Tirkes T, Sandrasegaran K, Patel AA, Hollar MA, Tejada JG, Tann M, Akisik FM, Lappas JC. Peritoneal and retroperitoneal anatomy and its relevance for cross-sectional imaging. (2012) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 32 (2): 437-51. doi:10.1148/rg.322115032 - Pubmed
- 2. Detection of peritoneal metastases. (2018) Cancer Imaging. 1 (2): 4. doi:10.1102/1470-7330.2001.002 - Pubmed
- 3. Harpreet K. Pannu, Michael Oliphant. The subperitoneal space and peritoneal cavity: basic concepts. (2015) Abdominal Imaging. 40 (7): 2710. doi:10.1007/s00261-015-0429-5 - Pubmed
- 4. Intraperitoneal Spread of Infections. (1976) International urogynecology journal. 27 (3): 1. doi:10.1007/978-1-4757-3955-8_1 - Pubmed
- 5. Susan Standring. Gray's Anatomy. (2018) ISBN: 9780443066849
- 6. John R. Haaga, Daniel Boll. Computed Tomography & Magnetic Resonance Imaging Of The Whole Body E-Book. (2008) ISBN: 9780323076210
- 7. Morton A. Meyers, MD, FACR, FACG, Chusilp Charnsangavej, MD, FSIR, Michael Oliphant. Meyers' Dynamic Radiology of the Abdomen. (2010) ISBN: 9781441959393