The rule of 2s is a useful mnemonic for Meckel diverticulum.
- occur in 2% of the population
- are 2 inches (5 cm) long
- are 2 feet (60 cm) from the ileocaecal valve
- 2/3rds have ectopic mucosa
- 2 types of ectopic tissue are commonly present (mostly gastric and pancreatic)
- and 2% become symptomatic
- 1. Sagar J, Kumar V, Shah DK. Meckel's diverticulum: a systematic review. J R Soc Med. 2006;99 (10): 501-5. doi:10.1258/jrsm.99.10.501 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Stallion A, Shuck JM. Meckel's diverticulum. In: Holzheimer RG, Mannick JA, editors. Surgical Treatment: Evidence-Based and Problem-Oriented. Munich: Zuckschwerdt; 2001. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6918/
- 3. Daniel Podolsky, Michael Camilleri, J.Gregory Fitz, Anthony Kalloo, Fergus Shanahan, Timothy Wang. 2015. Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology 6th edition; p 817.