Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Francesco Sciacca had no recorded disclosures.View Francesco Sciacca's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Francesco Sciacca had no recorded disclosures.View Francesco Sciacca's current disclosures
Samarium-153 (Sm-153) is a radioisotope used in metabolic radiotherapy for the treatment of pain from bone metastases. It is produced in nuclear reactors, by neutron irradiation of samarium-152 (Sm-152 Sm2O3).
Samarium-153 decays by emitting both beta minus particles and gamma photons with a characteristic gamma peak of 103.2 KeV; it has a physical half-life time of 1.93 days. The carrier molecule used is the ethylene diamine tetramethylene phosphonate acid (EDTMP), a chelator osteotropic tetraphosphonate. The radiopharmaceutical Sm-153 EDTMP (dose: 37 MBq/Kg) shows a biodistribution similar to that of technetium-99m methylene diphosphonate (Tc-99m MDP). The gamma (photons) component also allows the use of the radiotracer for nuclear medical imaging (follow-up).
- 1. Serafini AN. Systemic metabolic radiotherapy with samarium-153 EDTMP for the treatment of painful bone metastasis. (2001) The quarterly journal of nuclear medicine : official publication of the Italian Association of Nuclear Medicine (AIMN) [and] the International Association of Radiopharmacology (IAR). 45 (1): 91-9. Pubmed
- 2. Handkiewicz-Junak D, Poeppel TD, Bodei L, Aktolun C, Ezziddin S, Giammarile F, Delgado-Bolton RC, Gabriel M. EANM guidelines for radionuclide therapy of bone metastases with beta-emitting radionuclides. (2018) European journal of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. 45 (5): 846-859. doi:10.1007/s00259-018-3947-x - Pubmed
- 3. Ishfaq MM, Mushtaq A, Jawaid M. Experience on the neutron activation of natural/enriched Re, Sm, and Ho nuclides in a reactor for the production of radiotherapeutic radionuclides. (1999) Biological trace element research. 71-72: 519-26. doi:10.1007/bf02784240 - Pubmed
- 4. Turner JH, Claringbold PG. A phase II study of treatment of painful multifocal skeletal metastases with single and repeated dose samarium-153 ethylenediaminetetramethylene phosphonate. (1991) European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990). 27 (9): 1084-6. doi:10.1016/0277-5379(91)90297-q - Pubmed
- 5. Giuliano Mariani, Paola Anna Erba, Duccio Volterrani. Fondamenti di medicina nucleare. (2015) ISBN: 9788847016842