Scaphoid non-union advanced collapse
Citation, DOI & article data
Scaphoid non-union advanced collapse (SNAC) is a complication that can occur with scaphoid fractures, specifically non-union of scaphoid fractures. It is essentially the same sequela of wrist injury causing scapholunate dissociation as seen in scapholunate advanced collapse (SLAC).
In a SNAC wrist, the proximal scaphoid fragment usually remains attached to the lunate (which rotate together during extension), while the distal scaphoid fragment rotates into flexion. This results in abnormal contact in the radioscaphoid compartment, characterized by early styloid osteoarthritis between the distal scaphoid fragment and the radial styloid process.
Radiographic signs will depend on the stages of osteoarthritis in a SNAC wrist 4:
- osteoarthritis between the distal scaphoid fragment and the radial scaphoid fossa
- same as stage 1 with the addition of osteoarthritis between the scaphoid and the capitate
- osteoarthritis affecting the radial styloid, proximal scaphoid, and scaphocapitate with progression to the lunocapitate
- there is lateral proximal radial migration of the capitate dorsal to the lunate, which is a DISI configuration
- this is followed by non-articulation between the capitate and radius
Treatment and prognosis
- 1. Vender MI, Watson HK, Wiener BD et-al. Degenerative change in symptomatic scaphoid nonunion. J Hand Surg Am. 1987;12 (4): 514-9. Pubmed citation
- 2. Tomaino MM, Miller RJ, Cole I et-al. Scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy or limited wrist arthrodesis with scaphoid excision?. J Hand Surg Am. 1994;19 (1): 134-42. doi:10.1016/0363-5023(94)90237-2 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Strauch RJ. Scapholunate advanced collapse and scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse arthritis-update on evaluation and treatment. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36 (4): 729-35. doi:10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.01.018 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Penteado FT, Dos Santos JB, Caporrino FA et-al. Scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse classifications: a reliability study. J Hand Microsurg. 2012;4 (1): 12-5. doi:10.1007/s12593-012-0062-2 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 5. Radiographic Patterns of Radiocarpal and Midcarpal Arthritis. (2017) Jaaos: Global Research and Reviews. 1 (3): e017. doi:10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-17-00017 - Pubmed