Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia of breast
Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia (SLH) of the breast, also known as fibro-adenomatoid mastopathy, is an uncommon benign proliferative breast lesion.
It tends to occur more often in adolescent and young adult patients (peak age in the thirties). In the United States, there may be a greater incidence in African American women 2.
It often presents as a circumscribed mass and may or may not be palpable.
It is histologically characterised by enlarged lobules (with prominent lobular hyperplasia) an increased number of intralobular ductules and sclerosis of the intralobular connective tissue.
- fibroadenoma: a fibroadenoma can have surrounding SLH in ~ 50% of cases 7
May present as a rounded radiodensity of variable size (1-8 cm 6) and may resemble a non-calcified fibroadenoma.
Has a nonspecific sonographic appearance and may be seen as a lobular or oval-shaped mass with a circumscribed margin 5.
General differential considerations include
- 1. Goel NB, Knight TE, Pandey S et-al. Fibrous lesions of the breast: imaging-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 25 (6): 1547-59. doi:10.1148/rg.256045183 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kovi J, Chu HB, Leffall LD. Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia manifesting as a palpable mass of the breast in young black women. Hum. Pathol. 1984;15 (4): 336-40. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kapur P, Rakheja D, Cavuoti DC et-al. Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia of breast: cytomorphologic and histomorphologic features: a case report. Cytojournal. 2006;3 : 8. doi:10.1186/1742-6413-3-8 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Panikar N, Agarwal S. Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia of the breast: fine-needle aspiration cytology findings--a case report. Diagn. Cytopathol. 2004;31 (5): 340-1. doi:10.1002/dc.20135 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Cho N, Oh KK, Park KY et-al. Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia: sonographic pathologic correlation. Eur Radiol. 2003;13 (7): 1645-50. doi:10.1007/s00330-002-1732-4 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Poulton TB, De paredes ES, Baldwin M. Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia of the breast: imaging features in 15 cases. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1995;165 (2): 291-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Rosen PP. Rosen's breast pathology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2001) ISBN:0781723795. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon